Another Newbie

Garrett

Greetings all,

I'm another noob here. Had a helluva time getting registered but with Terry's help, I'm finally here. I'd actually signed up to another lotsw forum and one member there mentioned this forum so I came to take a look. I love the photos and location chats! It's been a bit of an obsession of mine, while watching Summer Wine, to try finding the scene locations on Google maps. Now I see that I'm not the only one (and not even the most obsessive either! :D)

I think I was quite lucky in that I grew up in southern Ontario (Canada), where we could get the American PBS and we had our own Global TV (a local network) and TVOntario (a public station supported by the provincial government). So I was able to watch lots of good British television (On The Buses, Are You Being Served?, Dick Emery, etc. And of course, Last Of The Summer Wine).

Fell in love with Summer Wine instantly! Maybe in a way, it brought back memories. As a kid, I and two other friends were always wandering off around town and the surrounding hillside after school and on weekends, sometimes getting into odd scrapes, sometimes just sitting on a hill overlooking the town reflecting on life... sound familiar? So I think I really identified with Norm & Compo & Foggy.

Well, now I'm a little older (43 to be exact) and I'm making my living as an English teacher in the Czech Republic. So now I get my lotsw fix mostly through YouTube.

Lastly, I've decided that this summer should be the time of my Summer Wine pilgrimage, so I'm planning a trip to Yorkshire, probably in July. Whew. Ok, that's enough from me.

When you get to Yorkshire, go prepared. The Springfield
Guest house is a great b&b right on the main street.

The Old Bridge, Farmer's Arms, and The Nook are great pubs.

Be sure to see Marsden and the pack horse bridge out past
the canal museum.

Be sure to see Jackson Bridge with Clegg's most recent home,
and the famous pub.

Be sure to get to Oxenhope (and Haworth) to walk along
the Keighly and Worth Valley railroad.

etc etc

Thanks for the advice, cciaffone. I looked at the Springfield website; it looks pretty good. Single with breakfast for £30.00 to £35.00.

I'd like to stay around Holmfirth for a couple days and rent a bike. Cycle around the area, go over to Marsden and Tunnel End, and after that get a hostel in York (or Leeds perhaps) and make some day trips to Keighley, the Yorkshire Moors, National Rail Museum in York... if I feel really adventurous (and the weather is cooperative), spend a day in Scarborough... and then I see that it's only an hour and a bit from York to Hartlepool, home of that other famous flatcapper, Andy Capp (they have a statue of him there)

I've just ordered the book Summer Wine Country by Roy Clarke, so it may give me some more inspiration. I've also ordered a book called The Hidden Places of North Yorkshire, which looks interesting.

I'm thinking ten days for it all.

Welcome aboard, Garrett. Glad you made it here! Yes, I enjoy finding these locations. Not really sure how I'm able to do it since I've never been to Holmfirth or West Yorkshire. Good group here, and many locations still to be found! :D

Welcome aboard, Garrett. Glad you made it here! Yes, I enjoy finding these locations. Not really sure how I'm able to do it since I've never been to Holmfirth or West Yorkshire. Good group here, and many locations still to be found! :D

You know, I appreciate the maps link on the Summerwine homepage to see where the filming locations are, but it can be quite dangerous at times. Once I'm there, I can easily spend hours wandering across Yorkshire on the Google satellite views!

Keep hunting locations and posting the photos, Claye!

Welcome, Garrett! I like your avatar :)!

Thanks ****, I like yours too - it conjures up that feeling of those carefree, laid-back summer afternoons that I vicariously enjoyed with the lads on the Yorkshire hills!

Back