Another book worth reading

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I've discovered this book that's being published sometime this year, I'll be registering interest....

How interesting. I purchased the complete collection in July 2020 and began watching the episodes on the 29th of July. I have almost completed the entire dvd collection; only 3 episodes remaining, including the Pilot: Funerals and Fish. All will be viewed in under five and a half months. Thankfully, I have not been a couch potato; on the contrary, I have Been vigorously exercising whilst watching the shows. It's invigorating to laugh and exercise at the same time.

Thanks for that, Barry. Looks interesting so I signed up to get notified when it comes out. Kinda wonder why they have not found a third person who enjoys the show as they do so they could replace the mannequin.

Moonraker, I got the complete set sometime about a year ago as well. Is nice to be able to see them all and in order for a change.

I watch at least 3 episodes every night,whilst lying in bed !!.
Unlike Foggy,who uses Horlicks as a sleep aid......[unfortunately,it did not work on one of those giant apes !!] I find that the gentle storylines,combined with the soothing music put me in a really good place......it is like a visual sleeping tablet.
I find that having watched every episode over and over again that I can close my eyes...listen to Roy Clarke's magical dialogue....and before I know it.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I ration the episodes to one per night for general relaxation, followed by a few pages of one of Barbara Pym's novels to finish knocking me out. I've seen all of the episodes and read all of the novels until I can nearly recite every word, otherwise they'd be far too interesting to have that effect.

I watch at least 3 episodes every night,whilst lying in bed !!.
Unlike Foggy,who uses Horlicks as a sleep aid......[unfortunately,it did not work on one of those giant apes !!] I find that the gentle storylines,combined with the soothing music put me in a really good place......it is like a visual sleeping tablet.
I find that having watched every episode over and over again that I can close my eyes...listen to Roy Clarke's magical dialogue....and before I know it.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
I posted a link to the audio episodes which are narrated by Peter Sallis on here a year or so ago, perfect for falling asleep to as they're sooo relaxing.

I've discovered this book that's being published sometime this year, I'll be registering interest....

Thanks for the link, just subscribed. Not been around much lately, just catching up !!

Did anyone order direct from them, I noticed its available on Waterstones but not Amazon[ yet?? ] [I am a Prime Customer and would save delivery costs if I was to purchase from Amazon ] IF it unlikely to be stocked by Amazon then happy to purchase from either of the other sources just wondered what delivery costs are from Summer Winos [with Waterstones its £2.99 2nd class, £3.99 first class and a whopping £7.95 to have it couriered :39:] Thanks for any help.

It's about 17 BP to ship to the States, ugh. Book is about 13 BP direct from them. Did not think about looking for their book via other sources, thanks Captain.

I've emailed Bob Fischer (from the Winos) and suggested he makes a post on this forum and he's said he will do later. Hopefully he can answer all these questions..

Hi all and thanks for the kind plug.

At the moment, we're just selling the book direct rather than going via Amazon. Waterstones are welcome to sell the book as well, but they haven't ordered any stock from us so far! Our direct sales link is here.

We wish that USA postage could be more affordable, but our hands are tied by the prices agreed by our nations' respective postal services.

This has been a labour of love, with over a year spent reviewing and rewriting all of our previous thoughts on the first four years of the show. Not really a great hardship, but an unexpectedly large workload! We can't wait for fans to start getting their hands on the finished result.

As to why we've never recruited a "Third Man" – it's enough of a faff trying to organise too of us without complicating things further :D Saying that, our unofficial third member is Andrew Orton. He designed the book cover and pretty much anything else we've ever done as well as frequently acting as cameraman when we put films together.

I've finally started to read the first few chapters of the book and I have to say I think it's brilliant. For someone who must have seen the pilot half a dozen times, this offers new insights and angles i've noticed before. I'd be interested to see what others think of the book?

Back