Andrew Vines book

minxie

Dedicated Member
I took this book on holiday with me, and read it within a week, I sort of wish I hadn't read it now. It was so sad that the fab three, clegg, compo and foggy didn't get on. It also sort of made out that Bill Owen was abit of a diva. It must of been a horrid atmosphere stuck in a bus all together not speaking, in between takes.

In the episode where compo dies, I thought clegg/sallis seemed genuinely upset, I know they must have had some feelings towards each other, for working so close all those years, but all the same I wish i hadn't read it.

Yes, I agree with that Minxie. I don't want to know about the squabbling and the tabloid style tittle tattle about who liked who and who was to blame for what. Just write about the show and give behind the scenes info on it without the scandal and harping on about the divisions.
But, as they always say, it's not a good idea to get too close and hear too much about your heros. Sometimes a safe distance should be kept from the men behind the characters and just enjoy their on screen personas.

What is it about heroes that there is always someone prepared to dish the dirt after they are gone??? Instead of leaving us woith our good memories. It worries me at times when we disect the episodes that we may get too critical and spoil what we like..

Im afraid i have to agree with Minxie.I was really disappointed to learn about the back stage shennanigans,so to speak.The trio had such fantastic on screen chemistry and comradeship that i was convinced it had to be like that in reality to be able to pull it off on screen.I also got the impression of Bill Own being a sort of Diva type and Brian Wilde could be difficult with Peter Sallis stuck in the middle.Having said that,it does show just how good and professional they really were to carry on and bring to life those wonderful characters we still love and enjoy today.
I enjoyed Andrew Vines book very much,infact,so much that i read it twice :)
I remember reading somewhere that we should never meet our heroes as we would only be disappointed.

Hector.

I see your point, Hector, yes, very often it is a disappointment to meet your hero. I have done it, keep doing it, and I´m not only NOT disappointed, I found a wonderful close friendship. But I know this is an exception and that I´m very lucky.
I can only say yes, Peter Sallis was stuck in the middle, and yes, Minxie is right, he and Bill Owen were sort of fond of each other, as far as I know Peter went to visit him in hospital very often when Bill Owen was dying, so this scene in the episode when the doctor comes out and shakes his head has a special poignancy as it could have been exactly like that in reality. I´m very careful reading such background stories, you would have to ask the actors themselves to get the truth, not read this book that somebody else has written and interpreted by doing it. And I also agree with Sir Coff here, better not dissect everything until we have spoilt it. It´s tempting to pry as much as possible, but it´s not always pleasant.

I see your point, Hector, yes, very often it is a disappointment to meet your hero. I have done it, keep doing it, and I´m not only NOT disappointed, I found a wonderful close friendship. But I know this is an exception and that I´m very lucky.
I can only say yes, Peter Sallis was stuck in the middle, and yes, Minxie is right, he and Bill Owen were sort of fond of each other, as far as I know Peter went to visit him in hospital very often when Bill Owen was dying, so this scene in the episode when the doctor comes out and shakes his head has a special poignancy as it could have been exactly like that in reality. I´m very careful reading such background stories, you would have to ask the actors themselves to get the truth, not read this book that somebody else has written and interpreted by doing it. And I also agree with Sir Coff here, better not dissect everything until we have spoilt it. It´s tempting to pry as much as possible, but it´s not always pleasant.

Very well put ****.

Im afraid i have to agree with Minxie.I was really disappointed to learn about the back stage shennanigans,so to speak.The trio had such fantastic on screen chemistry and comradeship that i was convinced it had to be like that in reality to be able to pull it off on screen.I also got the impression of Bill Own being a sort of Diva type and Brian Wilde could be difficult with Peter Sallis stuck in the middle.Having said that,it does show just how good and professional they really were to carry on and bring to life those wonderful characters we still love and enjoy today.
I enjoyed Andrew Vines book very much,infact,so much that i read it twice :)
I remember reading somewhere that we should never meet our heroes as we would only be disappointed.

Hector.

We cannot criticise Vine's excellent book here for revealing the tensions between the three actors - these were well known before Vine's book was ever published. (And in a way the tension was nothing like as bad as between Bill Owen and Michael Bates in the earlier trio.) It was very much a tribute to Alan JW Bell (and to a lesser extent Roy Clarke) that the show continued so long, particularly when Brian Wilde tried to get rid of Bell and bring back Lotterby after only one Bell series.

People don't always get on for many reasons its just a fact, it would be boring if everyone was the same. You can build up people in your mind only to find out that they let you down. Bill and Brian may not have got on well that doesn't mean they weren't nice people. There are lots of examples of people who didn't get on in private but when working in a professional environment produce the greatest displays.

Brian Jones apparently according to Keith Richards and the rest of the stones was a total git and a wife beater but together, well you know.

Romario and Bebeto for Brazil hated each other - World cup winners
Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham for Man UTD - won everything
etc........

Unc,
I dont believe anyone is critising Andrew Vines book or the information/facts therein but,just trying to get across that they were saddened and disappointed that, in reality,a few of the actors didnt get on so well as they portryed on screen.As far as im concerned,Andrew Vine did a great job on his book as it was both entertaining and informative.I dont think anyone would blame/critise A Vine or indeed, the newspaper reporters at the time for simply telling the facts as they really are/were but i think some people were saddened by the situation rather than at the information.

I rest my case yer Honour ;D

In some ways I wish I hadn't read the book, it lifted the lid a little too much but it was a good book.

It's an excellent book. The Ross and Bright book is quite good too - despite the mistakes that make me want to bash their heads together.

I can't help thinking there must be so many more stories, memories, photographs and other sources out there to create further books in the future.

I enjoyed Andrew Vines book it explored the detail of the show ,exposing the rifts between the three stars was an interesting part of the book.Brian Wilde must have enjoyed his time in the show judging by the way he came back and was considering a third return until illness prevented him .Actors are precosious people and will always be arguing with each other and when you get some with entrenched political views problems will arise.Many actors grew up in the 1930,s when times in Britain were very hard thus forming their views and also giving them a great start for thier acting carrers.But the book is a milestone for the fans as it is by and large accurate resume' of the show and should be welcomed in its entirety.

Moved me when discovered Bill Owen said to his longstanding Holmfirth friend Andrew Bray(IIRC)that he would b coming back to Holmfirth for filming when he knew he was dying :(

Moved me when discovered Bill Owen said to his longstanding Holmfirth friend Andrew Bray(IIRC)that he would b coming back to Holmfirth for filming when he knew he was dying :(

Yes that moved me too. I laughed and cried though that book.

Seymour wasn't one of my favorites, but I have warmed alot more to him after hearing, how he jollied everyone along, and ensured everyone had a nice time etc.

I did enjoy the book, but wish they had got along, like in all true disney style happy endings.....

dont think Bill and Brian were ever close friends but from what I gathered from the book there was less tension between the two after Brian returned