Alvin Smedley

personally i thought his character was perfect 4 summer wine, a replacement 4 compo which we were lacking b4 alvin came in, he worked so well i the quartet and eventually the trios and thought him and hobbo worked really well in the final trio, definately in my top 10 of characters

I really liked Alvin,I loved his enthusiasm and determination to live life to the full.

Alvin was OK. He fitted in well. He was never a strong enough character to be part of the main trio, but as a support character he was good.
He had an excellent intro episode and fitted in well as the barmpot with Truly.

I liked Alvin, I was lukewarm to his George and Mildred persona but in Summer Wine he seemed to "go for it" and it showed with his humour and acting as the barmpot! ;)

Having not watched much of the later series' i did catch a few that had been recorded in my suggestion file on my tivo. Alvin was in a few of them and i thought he is a good character not great just good.

Alvin was a good character, and his interaction with Norah was quite different to that of Compo which was a plus (doubt any one could replace the sparring between Norah and Compo).

I thought he fitted in well ...

Alvin was a good character, and his interaction with Norah was quite different to that of Compo which was a plus (doubt any one could replace the sparring between Norah and Compo).

I thought he fitted in well ...

Agreed.Brain and Kathy played well alongside each other as did Bill and Kathy all those years ago.I think that Alvin bought a fresh i njection of life to the show and one of my favourite Alvin sence is where he is cooking on a barbcue outside the front of his house.He was the fall guy towards the end the man who would fall off walls or be chased by Nora.Overall a good addition to the show

Oh dear!
It looks like I'm the only one that didn't really like him :(
I love Brian Murphy, but didn't like Alvin, his character was in keeping with the Summer Wine gang but there was something missing/not quit right I can't put my finger on it but it was odd in some way.
But he did work well with Nora.

Oh dear!
It looks like I'm the only one that didn't really like him :(
I love Brian Murphy, but didn't like Alvin, his character was in keeping with the Summer Wine gang but there was something missing/not quit right I can't put my finger on it but it was odd in some way.
But he did work well with Nora.

No Susan, I feel just the same, I don´t like Alvin either for the same reasons.

I liked Alvin very much and he did a great job. What I think is that they tried to make him a Compo replacement. No one could do that but he did come a close second. Also Alvin had a bit more class then Compo. LOL

Granted, there was only one Compo, and while Alvin had some pretty big shoes to fill, all things considered, I think he held his own and added some nice dynamics to the show.

Do you remember the ep when Alvin took a picture of Nora and made a funny hanging thing out of her? Makes me laugh every time!!! :D

I seem to remember reading that Alvin was supposed to be a one off, but he was so popular they kept him.

Back