Adopted by a Stray (1995) - What is a thingummy?

JackHarry

Someone else may have already posted this, so apologies in advance if this is a duplication.

In the episode "Adopted by a Stray (1995)", Smiler is forced to buy a 'thingummy' by Auntie Wainwright.

I initially thought perhaps this particular antique was something 'made' by the props department. However I now believe it's what's known as a smokers companion stand or tobacco stand.

The different sized pots were likely used for matches, tobacco, burned matches and at least one would be the ash tray.

Attachments

• tobacco stand.jpg
    tobacco stand.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 13
  • tripod_table_ac003a1353z-2.jpg
    tripod_table_ac003a1353z-2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 13
If Auntie hadn't have sold it sure she may have painted the numbers 10 , 20 , 30 and 50 on the side of the cups largest to smallest and sold it as a tiddlywinks game and frankly you could use it for that purpose , especially given that a lot of smoking based items like ashtrays and cigarette cases don't sell as well with the move to vaping as opposed to smoking .

I love The Repair Shop, but I've obviously missed that particular episode. It's genuinely a feel-good programme. :)

It was on a few weeks back on one of the episodes at 8.00pm on Wednesdays BBC One. Perhaps it might come up on Quest sometime as they repeat quite a few episodes. Come to think of it, I've never seen the same episode twice, which is surprising, given the number of episodes out there on BBC and Quest.

Back