A youthful Gordon Wharmby.

Marianna, are you telling me ( and all ) lol, that it's is Gordon on the roof, who's ladder they pinch? My gosh!

Marianna, are you telling me ( and all ) lol, that it's is Gordon on the roof, who's ladder they pinch? My gosh!

So Alan Bell says, and he should know! The shot is too long to see his face, and the coveralls are very baggy so I can't tell if the shape looks right, but the speech patterns sound right.

Marianna

Last edited:
just checked out Humanity, and I don't think that is George W. Even with a fake beard and stuffed bib overalls. Anyone else check it out?

I didn't think the man on the roof looked like Wharmby, either, and I wasn't too sure about the voice, but the way the lines were delivered sounded like him. ???

Marianna

just checked out Humanity, and I don't think that is George W. Even with a fake beard and stuffed bib overalls. Anyone else check it out?
Right everyone. It is not Wharmby. It is stated that he auditioned for the role. That is when Clarke, et al, noticed him. The actor who played that grumbler on the roof is one of four men. Tony Good, Gil Morris, Geo. Panther or Bernie Shaw. Oddly, in a listing I read of every show, they denote the part the extras played. However for the Humanity episode they don't. Yet, for Odd Dog Men, they mention Rough neighbor ( oh, you're a talker are ya! ) and Attractive neighbor, even Fifi the dog . . . it says Dog
( uncredited ) lol. So, there you have it as far as I can make it out. He only auditioned for it.

Right everyone. It is not Wharmby. It is stated that he auditioned for the role.

Thanks. I apparently made the assumption from Bell's statement, "For this very small part, I interviewed three actors in a small windowless conference room in the BBC's Oxford Road studios in Manchester. The actors were all very good, but one of them stood out. He was clearly a natural comedy actor and didn't appear to be acting. He impressed me so much that I reached into my plastic supermarket shopping bag (much lighter than a brief case) and took out the script for Car and Garter (1982) -a later episode in the series."

Bell doesn't say who he hired, but then goes on to talk about Wharmby, so I assumed that he had been hired for the bit part as well as for Car and Garter. Apparently Wharmby didn't get the bit part but instead got that much more important one.

Sorry!

Marianna

Great picture, StockportBlue. I can just imagine the character of Wesley wanting to add more 'zoom' to the toy train engine.

If he is anything like his character Wesley I can imagine him a great one to know and call friend. Not meaning to be too personal but is that you with the bare belly next to Gordon? :29:

Great picture, StockportBlue. I can just imagine the character of Wesley wanting to add more 'zoom' to the toy train engine.

If he is anything like his character Wesley I can imagine him a great one to know and call friend. Not meaning to be too personal but is that you with the bare belly next to Gordon? :29:

It is indeed my little pale podge on show :)

He certainly was a great man to have known, he was my dads best friend and my godfather ( not in a marlon brando kind of way ) and they used to have a decorating business together for many years both before LOTSW and during his time on the show.

I do miss him very much , especially at times like Christmas and my birthday. Which is why i'm so glad I found this forum because in a way it keeps a little bit of his memory alive .

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Nice of you to share this with us.

That is neat, Louise. Did she know who he was at the time?

Yes, I think she did because she was working at the gas board in the 70s but the signed autograph isn't him as Compo, It's a picture of him looking really smart!

I will be searching through my LOTSW discs tonight and having a close look for "Wesley". Learning such a lot going through these photos. Many thanks to all the people who took the trouble to post them although I bet it wasn't any trouble. It must be a pleasure to pass on to other members all this info. :37:

Back