A Double For Howard / Great One-on-One Moments

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
This is one of the better episodes of the mid-90’s. I have seen it before but recently watched it more carefully and caught so much more. The dialogue in this episode is particularly good.

For example, there is the moment when Ivy kicks Howard and Compo out of the café for strange activity. Then she says to herself, “Fat chance at getting into Good Food Guide around here. Three stars for barmy….no problem.”

I also like the character, Vernon Sedwick. Was he played by famous actor? Out of all the various characters the trio meet, I wonder why they were particularly bent on giving him such a hard time (setting him up at Nora’s and Auntie’s).

What is striking for me in this episode is that there are particularly two great moments, involving one on one interactions.

First there was Howard looking for someone his size that could pose for a double, approaching Wesley while he was under a car. Howard starts chatting with Wesley and then gets under the car with him to try to measure his height. Wesley thinks Howard is hitting on him! Then Wesley tries to escape and crawls out from under the car. Howard slides you as well and disappointingly says, “You’re too tall.”
Wesley responds, “You have no idea how glad I am to hear you say that.”

Another funny moment was when the trio got to Wesley a little later.
Foggy says, “We’re looking for Howard. He was reported to be headed in this direction.”
Wesley responds, “I’ve been beginning to wonder just what direction he’s heading in.”

The other hilarious one on one interaction was when the trio set the salesman up to solicit at Nora’s. He tries all of the nicknames the gang recommended on Nora. “Fast Gladys?” “Turbo Chops?” “Sugar Lips”. Then he gets chased with a broom. I guess that moment is simple, but for some reason, it always struck me as hilarious.

So this brings me to my second topic of this post, great moments with one on one interactions. What other great moments do you recall? I will give an extra challenge for the traditional fans here. I believe the answers here can be easily dominated by Sid&Ivy and Nora&Wally moments. Certainly share them! However, my extra challenge is for you to come up with ones involving other cast members. Please share!

Vernon Sedwick was played by a man called Duggie Brown he was more known for being a comedian then an actor although he did act in a few progams.

I too really like this episode, when Howard crawls under Wesleys car is so funny.
The sceens with Ivy are very good too, I think she has a lot of good lines in this one.

Throughout all 295 episodes there are many, many gems of lines. Even a poorer episode often has some really good exchanges.

Some years ago Ronnie Barker produced a volume containing all his output. Now I wonder could Roy Clarke produce something like that?

Throughout all 295 episodes there are many, many gems of lines. Even a poorer episode often has some really good exchanges.

Some years ago Ronnie Barker produced a volume containing all his output. Now I wonder could Roy Clarke produce something like that?

Ronnie Barker was Mr. Wainwright in Open All Hours, correct? Now with his working history with Roy Clarke, wouldn't he have been great as one of the extra regulars in Summer Wine (like a Smiler, Eli, etc.)? After all the previous posts of actors and actresses we would have liked to have seen in Summer Wine, how did I never think of Ronnie Barker!

Codfanglers, have ever seen Porridge? If you like Ronnie Barker you'll like that it was defiantly some of his best work.

Hiya Cod, Ronnie Barker was Mr Arkwright. Wainwright would have been too close to Auntie!

Anything Ronnie Barker was good. Last night we were watching "Clarence" and he has another good series called Magnificnet Evans. Both great comedies. He had the sequel of Porridge called "Going Straight"

Hiya Cod, Ronnie Barker was Mr Arkwright. Wainwright would have been too close to Auntie!

Some have tried to suggest that Auntie Wainwright was related to Mr Wainwright the librarian - hence the genetic trait which Howard might have inherited about dalliances with other ladies ...

Some have tried to suggest that Auntie Wainwright was related to Mr Wainwright the librarian - hence the genetic trait which Howard might have inherited about dalliances with other ladies ...

Wow a combonation between Auntie and Mr Wainright! That would just about describe Howard :)

Codfanglers

Frank Thornton was Captain Peacock in 'Are You Being Served?'

Forgive me for I failed to make my point! Frank Thornton definitely didn't play Capt. Peacock "in Summer Wine"!!!!! Just as Ronnie Barker, who would have been great in the show, certainly would not have played the role of Mr. Arkwright!

Back