50 Golden Summers Celebration Weekend (26-28 May)

I need to get myself mobile again so I can do my part to support the cause by resuming my annual month in the UK, mid-October to mid-November, when the airfares are less expensive. Until 2020, this was the high point of my year for about 25 years, and almost always included a week in Holmfirth.

The pandemic kept me at home after 2019, as well as a couple of hip muscles that tore away from their insertions at the femur. The only fix was surgery with a projected 18-month full recovery and rehab. The surgery was in June of last year, but due to complications, full mobility will require an additional year, unless I'm among the 20% of patients that never fully recover. Now, more than a year later, I'm still using a wide-base quad cane for short distances and a walker/Zimmer frame for longer ones.

To keep myself motivated, I've been looking at lodgings, cafes, bus routes and photo ops in and around Holmfirth, as well as tours and literary weeks with HF Holidays. I'll need to make reservations with the latter by December, because single rooms fill awfully quickly.

I need to get myself mobile again so I can do my part to support the cause by resuming my annual month in the UK, mid-October to mid-November, when the airfares are less expensive. Until 2020, this was the high point of my year for about 25 years, and almost always included a week in Holmfirth.

The pandemic kept me at home after 2019, as well as a couple of hip muscles that tore away from their insertions at the femur. The only fix was surgery with a projected 18-month full recovery and rehab. The surgery was in June of last year, but due to complications, full mobility will require an additional year, unless I'm among the 20% of patients that never fully recover. Now, more than a year later, I'm still using a wide-base quad cane for short distances and a walker/Zimmer frame for longer ones.

To keep myself motivated, I've been looking at lodgings, cafes, bus routes and photo ops in and around Holmfirth, as well as tours and literary weeks with HF Holidays. I'll need to make reservations with the latter by December, because single rooms fill awfully quickly.
Yes, do get mobile. I've seen a walker that is triangular in shape and looks easy to fold to fit on a bus, train, and/or the Café.

Yes, do get mobile. I've seen a walker that is triangular in shape and looks easy to fold to fit on a bus, train, and/or the Café.
The planes from my home airport are so small that even something as small as those triangular walkers wouldn't fit in the overhead compartment. Anything that goes into the hold is likely to be damaged, so the user could be left helpless. I need to be able to rely on my legs with, at most, the aid of a straight cane. As soon as the current heat wave is over, I'll be back to work on the rehab.

I expect the rehab to improve after my cataracts have been removed, one next week and the other two weeks later. That will give me back the second of the three components of balance. If I qualify for cochlear implants when I see that surgeon in October, and if they work for me, that will restore the third balance component. Proprioception has been back since the extreme swelling and numbness in the operated leg reduced so I could feel the floor underfoot. I've found that only one out of the three components isn't enough to keep my balance, though.

Back