2 Minute Silence

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Having just observed the 2 minute silence for all our fallen hero's set me wondering are we the only county to do this on this day? Also do other counties do anything similar to selling poppies?

I always watch the service, its very touching, I read Sapper Martins book about his war experience. It was touching/ tragic and the fact that he made it through his time at the trenches unscathed, was amazing. How he tells his story, was fluent, well written and attention to detail was amazing as he logged his days in a diary, which I believe they weren't supposed to do.

He couldn't understand how some men were dead within days of arriving, but he made it through and he was there for sometime. I would recommend it as an interesting read.

Got mine on amazon, for very little at the moment its 1penny for a soft back or a fiver on kindle

Here in Ireland the poppy is seen a lot now,but only in recent years.The great shame here is that only recently was there a pardon for thousands of men who deserted the Irish army to go and join the allies,so many of whom didn`t live to see it.This year the Taoiseach (PM) travelled to Northern Ireland to lay a wreath in Enniskillen.He gave credit to the Queen for enabling him to do so. I have just noticed that in the photo of him in the link below he is not wearing a poppy.
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/irish-leaders-in-poppy-day-first-3290902.html

Back