1989 Christmas Special; What's Santa Brought for Nora Then?

wstol

Dedicated Member
This special is very, very similar to Crums the year before. In fact i often find it hard to tell them apart when a random scene appears on television. This one sees the return of Jean Alexander.

At the beginning we have to imagine the utter chaos at the church hall with Mr Simmonite's Performing Ferrets! Somehow imagining it is probably funnier than actually seeing it.

Is it this one (or it might be Crums) where Howard is decorating the tree? That has to be the funniest slapstick ever seen in LOTSW.

The very ending of this episode is particularly dramatic as one of the Christmas presents opened is a decorated egg, with a note enclosed. This was used to prepare the audience for the very likely departure of Michael Aldridge as Seymour...

Yeah the one with Howards tree was a classic.Pearls line was great.
"Have you seen our tree'It looks like someones run over Gary Glitter"
I enjoy this episode a lot.I might watch this one on Boxing day after the Horse racing in the afternoon

Strangely enough, both "Crums" and "What's Santa brought for Nora" are not ones i watch very often, same with "A leg up for Christmas".
The earlier Christmas episodes, such as "Penny Wassail", "Whoops", "Fir tree" and "All mod conned" are probably my favorite Christmas episodes, i find the later ones maybe too overly funny, i find it difficult to explain really, although i must agree, the Christmas tree gag with Howard is indeed a classic, with his "I broke my sugar fairy" another good line.

G ; )

even though i was born when this was shown (i was about 4 months old) this is just before i got into summer wine, although watching this as a repeat on gold or dvd i find its an ok christmas special, i like the plot of compo getting a present, with this being seymours final full episode it would have been great for him to have a bit more of a plot, the end is very poignant if you watched summer wine with foggy before, if you came into it in seymours era it would not be understood but if you watched it with foggy i find (and this is with hindsight and watching it on dvd a lot) its obvious foggy is coming back, what a ending and a cliffhanger to leave the show on for 9 months or so. not the best christmas special but certainly a decent one.

Strangely enough, both "Crums" and "What's Santa brought for Nora" are not ones i watch very often, same with "A leg up for Christmas".
The earlier Christmas episodes, such as "Penny Wassail", "Whoops", "Fir tree" and "All mod conned" are probably my favorite Christmas episodes, i find the later ones maybe too overly funny, i find it difficult to explain really, although i must agree, the Christmas tree gag with Howard is indeed a classic, with his "I broke my sugar fairy" another good line.

G ; )

With regards to "Crums", did Compo actually play the banjo, or was it dubbed in by a session musician?

I would say it was dubbed, watch his fingers on the neck of the banjo, they aren't in the positions that they should be for the tune, in fact they hardly move at all.

G ; )

Back