Your choice

George

Super Moderator
An American friend told me she wanted to show her friend how good LOTSW was and asked me which episode I would choose that would best sum up the show.
If you were asked the same question, what would your choice of episode be?

Full Speed Behind -- no question. The American will see
both the joy of SW and the beauty of the Worth
Valley RR.

Definitely Of Funerals and Fish.

Maybe Edie and the Automobile as well.

chuck

These are favorites, but they do show what the show's basic meaning or plot was about.

Full Steam Behind - shows the great countryside and also the hijinks the trio get in.

In the Service of Humanity - hijinks, also shows Foggy's aspirings and dragging Clegg and Compo into them.. Also shows interaction with the random person and how they mess it up. It also gives us a bit of Compo and Nora which definitely should be in an episode shown to a newcomer.

In a way I think there should also be a Truly episode somewhere in the mix. Especially him with Billy Hardcastle or Alvin. Seemed like the episodes during that pairing were when Truly would play jokes on people. "What Happened to the Horse" even the "Will the Nearest Alien Please Stand Up".. "Coming of the Beast"..

I introduced LOTSW to my parents with Greenfingers, I think, I love that one, and even though they couldn´t understand much in terms of the language, they laughed and enjoyed it. I think that´s also a good one to start with.

I think 'Uncle of the Bride' sums up Last of the Summer Wine, especially the scene when Seymour, Clegg and Compo go into the church near the end of the episode. Brings a tear to my eye all the time. This episode also introduces a lot of characters that make this comedy so special!

I know I'm getting on this one pretty late but my first choice would be Getting Sam Home. If it had to be a 30 minute episode then my choice would be The mysterious feet of Nora Barry.

I think "Mysterious Feet" is as good a place to start as you can get.... or maybe ""One Of The Last Few Places Unexplored By Man". They both include the key characters of the time, the childishness and pointlessness of their day to day adventures and the general charm and appeal of the show...and it's basic essence.

I would be inclined to go with the "Mysterious feet of Nora Batty" or "Small tune on a penny Wassail".For the Seymour era i think "Three men and a mangle" and "Crums" are excellent.I also think a few of the early episodes like "The new mobile trio" and Hail smiling morn or thereabouts" are great fun.

Hector

I know I'm getting on this one pretty late but my first choice would be Getting Sam Home. If it had to be a 30 minute episode then my choice would be The mysterious feet of Nora Barry.

(Sorry, I must have been half asleep - I meant Batty!)

I agree with a lot of the choices - Crums is good for Seymour era and Mysterious feet for Foggy.

Much as I think Full Steam Behind is brilliant and in my personal top five - it does not really show off the series as a whole ....

Back