Yorkshire 2014

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I am off to Yorkshire on August 9th. I need information on these two places to know if they are worth a visit.

Hawes. Is there much to do there. What is it like.
Embsay and Bolton abbey railway. Has anyone been on this.

Any other suggestions will be happily noted.

I am off to Yorkshire on August 9th. I need information on these two places to know if they are worth a visit.

Hawes. Is there much to do there. What is it like.
Embsay and Bolton abbey railway. Has anyone been on this.

Any other suggestions will be happily noted.

Hawes is pretty small but worth a quick visit,The railway is nice and worth going to,they should be running steam in August,we loved going to Downham near Colne, where they filmed Born and Bred

Terry

We often stay a week in a self-catering in Hawes.

Beside the Wensleydale creamery, there are lots of great
walks and road trips from Hawes. We like to walk thru the
fields up to Hardraw Force and it's great pub, and then
take an alternate walk back into Hawes. Also like to
drive up to Askrigg to walk up to those falls. Not a really
long ride over to the breweries in Masham as well. Another
nice but shorter walk is past the creamery then thru Gayle,
and back around to Hawes. Or you can take a reall HIKE up
to Wetherfell and the Pennine way.

enjoy Hawes!!

chuck

I have visited Hawes quite a few times - museum quite interesting on the site of the old railway line (a branch off the Settle-Carlisle at Garsdale known as Hawes Junction) which as you go east becomes the Wensleydale Railway.
http://www.wensleydalerail.com/

Embsay and Bolton Abbey - very friendly lot there. Good eating at the Abbey Tea Rooms, not far from Devonshire Arms. Also recommend the coffee shop known as Buffers.

http://www.bufferscoffeeshop.co.uk/

This is in a working farm, at Storiths. Another regular haunt of mine. (About 20 minutes away from me). When my son was little in the early 1990s he liked it for the model railway gallery.

On the railway theme you are also not far from the Keighley & Worth Valley (I can hear the steam trains working hard up the gradient from Keighley from my house); also from Skipton you can take a train on the Settle-Carlisle route and also there is a very scenic route to Carnforth - the Bentham Line - through the Lune Valley.

http://www.leedslancastermorecambecrp.co.uk/

(I perhaps should declare an interest in the last one as I am a director!)

However have a good trip.

I have visited Hawes quite a few times - museum quite interesting on the site of the old railway line (a branch off the Settle-Carlisle at Garsdale known as Hawes Junction) which as you go east becomes the Wensleydale Railway.

Hawes station was interesting historically in that at this remote town two railway companies made an end to end junction. Quote:

The station was opened in October 1878 by the Midland Railway (MR) as the terminus of their 6-mile (9.7 km) branch line from Hawes Junction. The MR branch made an end-on junction here with the North Eastern Railway (NER) line from Northallerton via Bedale which had been opened as far as Leyburn by 1856 and then extended onwards to Hawes in the summer of 1878. Although the station belonged to the Midland, the NER (and later the LNER) operated most of the passenger services from there — the MR section being worked as an extension of the service to/from Northallerton. The only exception to this was a single daily return service between Hawes and Hellifield that for much of its life was known by the somewhat unusual nickname of Bonnyface.

For full details see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawes_railway_station

...... The only exception to this was a single daily return service between Hawes and Hellifield that for much of its life was known by the somewhat unusual nickname of Bonnyface.

For full details see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawes_railway_station

Yes departed from a bay platform at Hellifield which is now filled in: beyond the platform buildings the platforms are virtually derelict, overgrown and OOU (out of use). Although they recently repainted the splendid MR canopies which look splendid again; painted in the mid 1990s but unfortunately the paint jobs do not really last that well.

Neglected to ask, but will you be staying in or near Hawes??

There is a bakery/butcher across the road from a church
that does really nice stuff.

Also an easy drive up thru Buttertubs (Tour de F !!) to the
Tan Hill pub.

We often stay a week in a self-catering in Hawes.

Beside the Wensleydale creamery, there are lots of great
walks and road trips from Hawes. We like to walk thru the
fields up to Hardraw Force and it's great pub, and then
take an alternate walk back into Hawes. Also like to
drive up to Askrigg to walk up to those falls. Not a really
long ride over to the breweries in Masham as well. Another
nice but shorter walk is past the creamery then thru Gayle,
and back around to Hawes. Or you can take a reall HIKE up
to Wetherfell and the Pennine way.

enjoy Hawes!!

chuck

If you go to Wensleydale, you may wish to visit James Herriot's house which is now a museum. James Herriot (the pseudonym he wrote under) was a vet back in the 30's and 40's and wrote "All Creatures Great and Small" and other books about his life as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales.

Yes I was thinking about Wensleydale. I am going to a place called Reeth. My brother has been there. He says its lovely.

Believe you are talking more about Swaledale (and
Arkengarthdale??). In any case, Reeth, Gunnerside, and
Muker are lovely, just over the hill from Askrigg (where
All Creatures vet practice was filmed) and Hawes.

As I remember, Reeth had a couple of nice pubs as well as
an ice cream shop. But it has been a few years ...

Back