Would you live here?

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
This is a photo of a farm house in the middle of the M1. This photo was taken in the south lane and at the other side of the farm house you can see the north bound traffic. I guess some of you must have driven past this farm. I do believe that the farmer did not want to move from his property and a road had to be built under the M1 so that he could get to his land. Rather him than me.:confused:

Attachments

• M1 farm.jpg
    M1 farm.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
I guess one has to admire them for their steadfastness. Any idea what they used to farm there? Can't imagine them having much land left over for farming after the highway went in.

Great location for a rest stop. Not sure if you have (or had) those over in the UK. Don't think they get as much use as they used to here in the States. I remember stopping at some as a kid during long family road trips.

this farm called Stott Hall farm is actualy between the west bound and east bound carriageway of the M62 motorway just near Huddersfield, it is owned by Yorkshire water but rented to a tenant farmer who lives there with his family, they have nine hundred sheep and a few cows, there is a dispute as to why it was left and the carriageways split around it , some say the original owner refused to move but it seems that there is a geological fault that caused it to be built like that ,
no stopping on the motorways , only at the service areas , if you do stop for any reason except an emergency then you will be prosecuted

Yes I remember the story was that it had geological problems nothing to do with the owner not wanting to move they would have forced him out if they needed too and yes I thought it was on the M62.

Back