Wonder Why

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In Big Day at Dream Acres, Seymour states that you are not allowed to Cane anyone anymore, Yet when Foggy returns in The Return of the Warrior,Seymour seems unaware that he cannot use the Cane anymore

In Big Day at Dream Acres, Seymour states that you are not allowed to Cane anyone anymore, Yet when Foggy returns in The Return of the Warrior,Seymour seems unaware that he cannot use the Cane anymore

probably a error on the production teams part but looking at it from a Seymour view he was probably so excited about becoming a headmaster again he forgot the cane was abolished it just wasn't in his mind, then again can any of us remember an off the cuff comment that we wouldn't think too much about 2/3 years later would we

Possibly Roy Clarke had forgotten what he had written before,
though perhaps
some artistic licence
for that great gag about caning which was a perfect exit for Seymour - great way for him to finish.

Is caning sort of like, getting your backside beat for disobeying???

When I was in grade school they used to paddle your behind when you disobeyed a teacher or messed about in class. Just wondering if it was the same type punishment.

Teachers couldn't strike students when I was in school, but we did have a teacher in 5th grade (US, approximately age 12) who had spent a year in Germany as an exchange teacher and came back with some new ideas about discipline. One thing he managed to force through was a rule that you couldn't talk in your normal voice at lunch in the cafeteria - you had to whisper or be very quiet.

One day I inadvertently responded to someone in my normal voice and was promptly dragged off by said teacher to his classroom where I was yelled at and forced to stand with my nose to the blackboard for the rest of the lunch break. Being a sensitive kid who rarely got in trouble, I was soon crying.

I don't think this went down well with the other teachers and staff. Shortly after the "only whisper" rule in the lunchroom ended, as well as some other German ideas he had brought back and managed to implement earlier that school year. ;-)

It was the plimsoll (dap for the west Country when I did teacher training) at Junior school administered by the class teacher; the most humiliating part being that it was done in front of the rest of the class.

In secondary school it was the preserve of the head who used a cane - much more hurtful than the "slipper".

By the 1970s such punishment was less noticeable, although in one Senior High I taught in the deputy head (Mr L W A Clish) still thought it was a good sanction but he was over-ruled by the head.

Teachers couldn't strike students when I was in school, but we did have a teacher in 5th grade (US, approximately age 12) who had spent a year in Germany as an exchange teacher and came back with some new ideas about discipline. One thing he managed to force through was a rule that you couldn't talk in your normal voice at lunch in the cafeteria - you had to whisper or be very quiet.

One day I inadvertently responded to someone in my normal voice and was promptly dragged off by said teacher to his classroom where I was yelled at and forced to stand with my nose to the blackboard for the rest of the lunch break. Being a sensitive kid who rarely got in trouble, I was soon crying.

I don't think this went down well with the other teachers and staff. Shortly after the "only whisper" rule in the lunchroom ended, as well as some other German ideas he had brought back and managed to implement earlier that school year. ;-)

When I came back from Germany, I got into a bit of hot water for adopting the habit of standing to attention and snapping my heels together.

By the time I left school there was no cane. Mind you I don't remember there ever being one at my school. The deputy head was a bit of a looney. His Voice alone shouting at you was enough punishment.

In elementary school, spanking was administered only with the mother's permission and standing in the corner did not require a mother's permission.

Back