Wit vs slapstick

Just viewed Greenfingers - there is physical stuff there but it is all so believable whereas being thrown from an upper window is, to me at any rate, stretching credulity. perhaps I am being a wimp!

I agree here also. I know the scenes were written for the comedy that's intended, but some were stretched too far past being believable. For me, the worst example is when the boys are trying to measure Nora's feet on the ladder. When their ladder falls backwards into the river, we're supposed to just laugh at the moment and not wonder how 3 frail elderly men fall roughly 30 feet into a rock filled stream without any injury.

I agree here also. I know the scenes were written for the comedy that's intended, but some were stretched too far past being believable. For me, the worst example is when the boys are trying to measure Nora's feet on the ladder. When their ladder falls backwards into the river, we're supposed to just laugh at the moment and not wonder how 3 frail elderly men fall roughly 30 feet into a rock filled stream without any injury.
I agree Ron-po. That is one of my favorite episodes but theending fall did not add to the show in a positive way for me either.

Yes I am for the wit too and I also prefer the Clegg of earlier years that is to say as far as his relations with the "Female Person" went. I also preferred the smaller cast though I can understand the necessity of the larger as the three main Actors got older. One of my top ten as it were is " Full Steam Behind" just the three of them and they are wonderful.

I really enjoyed the silliness in the fist half of frozen turkey man, where they were looking for the Crinkle tin in the bushes and they would pop up away from where they started looking. I loved the reaction from Clegg when he would pop up facing the wrong way from the others. I thought this was great writing.
Gobble, gobble, ah, so much fun pulling pranks on your buddies.

So, to weigh in on the topic, I guess I like both. I like the wit, but some slapstick is good too. However too much slapstick, not a fan of, seems forced and unnatural.

I really enjoyed the silliness in the fist half of frozen turkey man, where they were looking for the Crinkle tin in the bushes and they would pop up away from where they started looking. I loved the reaction from Clegg when he would pop up facing the wrong way from the others. I thought this was great writing.

So, to weigh in on the topic, I guess I like both. I like the wit, but some slapstick is good too. However too much slapstick, not a fan of, seems forced and unnatural.

It took me ages to work out what tin you meant ;D I think you mean Trickle Tin ;D ;D

It took me ages to work out what tin you meant ;D I think you mean Trickle Tin ;D ;D

Or Treacle

Sorry about that, I listened to it over and over and couldn't quite make out what Compo was saying. I've never heard of one before.
;D ;D ;D

Treacle - could that be molasses in USA speech?

Treacle sponge and custard - mmm - now that has made me feel hungry ;D ;D ;D

Treacle - could that be molasses in USA speech?

Not strictly the same but it would appear US call both treacle and molasses by the latter name. I quote:

"Finally, I turned to The Oxford English Dictionary (OED). It makes a similar
distinction between treacle and molasses. According to the OED, treacle is:
the uncrystallized syrup produced
in the process of refining sugar;
also sometimes extended to
the uncrystallizable syrup that
drains from raw sugar.

I think that’s similar to what’s on the previously mentioned website,
yes? Or maybe not. But then, at the end:

= Molasses 1.

A-ha! So, look under “Molasses 1.” and we find:

the word is rare in British use,
but in the U.S. is commonly
used promiscuously with treacle.

Well! Aren’t we! Stupid, “promiscuous” Americans!

But finally, the OED gets down to the nitty-gritty:

In technical language, molasses
is applied to the drainings of raw
sugar and treacle to the syrup
from sugar in the process
of refining."

Back