Windows 8

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I now have windows 8 on both my computers in dual boot mode,so I can flick back to windows 7 at any time, it seems a steep learning curve,almost as if Microsoft have gone out of their way to hide things,I needed to do this as I help a lot of folk on the park with their computer problems and some have already bought new laptops with Windows 8,one thing is noticeable is the speed it boots up,from pressing the start button to ready to use is under 10 seconds, the good old start button has now vanished and to shut it down takes several moves,going to look for a shortcut to this

It will be OK for folk who just want to click on a application to get to where they need to go,more like a smart phone interface,though you can use it like any other windows desktop it always starts in the Metro window,that is until someone tells us how modify everything,I got 2 copies of windows 8 under their upgrade path,costing £15 each, I think that offer runs until January 2013

Terry

I had wondered if it was worth me upgrading to windows 8, Terry. I bought this all in one touch screen desktop just before it came out. I am quite happy with windows 7 so I will probably stick with it. I do not either use the touch screen much, I stick with the mouse.

I have a 8 installed in a triple boot system ,the problem I have is that 8 cannot see my graphics card so I have very basic graphics when I`m running it,so much so that I`m sticking with 7 and not using it . I`m still trying to solve the problem but getting very little help from Microsoft or Sapphire.

I see Windows 8.1 is now available via download from Microsoft,so at least once install it reverts back to the start button,I have 8.1 installed on one of my computers and it is a little better,but sine I bought the software 9 months ago I have not used it very much,still prefer Win 7 and it seems many folk are still using XP because they are happy with it, and why not

I went from XP to Windows 8 and I hate it, I was told it was designed for touch screen so I bought a touch screen and I still hate it. Its not the start up that annoys me, I quite like the apps screen, but the sliding side bar drives me potty. I often go back to the desk top has its still XP.

I have been told that official support for XP disappears next year and that sounds as if it might be a signal to move systems.

Any views about windows 7?

Just checked and found that my system has some problems for Windows 8 such as screen resolution, and secure boot is not compatible.

Also a lot of my software would need upgrading at a cost.

We just purchased a new laptop( daughter had a bit of an accident with hers so mom and dad get a new one and she gets our old one ;D) and it has windows 8 on it. I get frustrated with all the windows and always seem to revert back to the desktop version for comfort. I agree with hiding stuff, wow, it is hard to find things.
I hear 8.1 you can set it to always stay on the desktop version(start menu) and not go to the windows on boot up, that true Terry?
If so, I might download 8.1.
Not a fan of the windows either.

We just purchased a new laptop( daughter had a bit of an accident with hers so mom and dad get a new one and she gets our old one ;D) and it has windows 8 on it. I get frustrated with all the windows and always seem to revert back to the desktop version for comfort. I agree with hiding stuff, wow, it is hard to find things.
I hear 8.1 you can set it to always stay on the desktop version(start menu) and not go to the windows on boot up, that true Terry?
If so, I might download 8.1.
Not a fan of the windows either.

I do believe you can I have not tried it yet but 8.1 is a free upgrade from 8.0 plus it includes many updates and fixes so it is worth doing just for the regular start icon

That runs on good old Unix doesn't it
Yes, and a little bit of Linux and a great heap of quality :)
I find it more comfortable and easier to use. Installed my workhorse with Snow Leopard when it was released almost three years ago, and haven't needed a re-install and it hasn't frozen once (unlike my memories of Windows XP, freezing on a daily basis!)

Still on XP Pro. We have about six desktops and two
laptops, mostly DELLs, that all run XP, Office, and a
bunch of specialized stuff (Utorrent??) that might not
run on later Windows. Beside, we have many FREE install
disks for all the M'soft stuff sourced from all over. Most
of the PC hardware came cheap from shopgoodwill
auction site.

WE BE CHEEP!!

chuck

Back