What if it were possible to have the Spin Off

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Would you folk be interested enough to invest in the making of such a show,it could either be a 90 minute film or a six episode series,Written by Roy Clarke,Directed by Alan Bell,filmed in Holmfirth with as many of the LOSW cast possible,based around Cooper & Walsh,sold on DVD via Supermarket chains in the UK and USA, the idea is to get the DVD out there and hope the TV companies will see the potential and carry on from there,if it was successful and I see no reason why it would not be,investors should see are return on their investment,this is at the early planning stages at the moment and I would value your input,just to be clear though the cost of making something like this is around half a million pounds,not inexpensive
I am not sure if there is a listing anywhere that shows how many LOSW DVD's are sold worldwide,but there must be a huge potential for this to do really well
Terry

Interesting thought Terry but you would probably need donations in the 100's not the £5 or £10.00 as before?? :-\

Probably Dick about £100 per person,but it will not be coming to me, but to one of the film makers

If they are confident that there is an audience for this why not just produce a pilot in the normal way and pitch it to the TV companies? Far cheaper to do I would assume and if it had a lot of names behind it and was actually funny someone would commission it.

If they are confident that there is an audience for this why not just produce a pilot in the normal way and pitch it to the TV companies? Far cheaper to do I would assume and if it had a lot of names behind it and was actually funny someone would commission it.

Sadly this has been tried but for one reason or another mainly the politics within TV companies along with the fact that TV companies aim most of their programming at a young audience they do not want to take the risk

Sadly this has been tried but for one reason or another mainly the politics within TV companies along with the fact that TV companies aim most of their programming at a young audience they do not want to take the risk

So, are you saying there is a pilot already that was shown and turned down? Or just that the idea was floated to the TV companies? Pilots are often produced independently and then shown, most are rejected regardless of age of audience that they may be aimed at. If TV companies were only interested in aiming at a younger audience then Still Open All Hours would never be made, Grey Mates wouldn't have been given the go ahead, etc. You started this thread by saying that the hope is to put together a special or 6 episode series and then hope the TV companies will pick it up, but if they are supposedly only aiming at a young audience then it would be a waste of time anyway. If a pilot has already been made then lets see it! They could stick it up on YouTube or go to one of these cloud funding websites and take it from there (edit - cloud funding, I did of course mean crowdfunding!).

Of course, the very mention of a new programme gets us all thinking about what WE would want to see in the show.

If such a project were to materialise, I would like to see a 90 minute special which would give a very big send off to LOTSW, whilst also very prominently paving the way to a possible series starring Cooper and Walsh.

I think there is some potential with the Cooper and Walsh idea, it would very similar to PC Penrose series Roy Clarke wrote, again set in a Northern town(s).

It's a shame how hard it is to get a anything that could be good on television nowadays. Today, the tv bosses prefer to put total rubbish on, rather than anything that's a bit old fashioned, or something that's previously had a good track record.

I would contribute to such a project if I liked the details.

enjoyed reading those posts guys, very interesting....but I think when all is said and done its pie in the sky....fantastic as the initial idea is.

Very defeatest, though I must admit they have been many cases where programmes and films have tried to make a comeback, only for someone to pull out, or lack of funds, etc.

Wasn't a similar project offered to the GOLD channel?

They sometimes make their own (quite good sometimes) programmes, and it would be so logical for them to make such a problem. It's right up their street, as they say.

Would GOLD be in a position now to make such a programme?

Very defeatest, though I must admit they have been many cases where programmes and films have tried to make a comeback, only for someone to pull out, or lack of funds, etc.

Wasn't a similar project offered to the GOLD channel?

They sometimes make their own (quite good sometimes) programmes, and it would be so logical for them to make such a problem. It's right up their street, as they say.

Would GOLD be in a position now to make such a programme?

Yes Gold were interested,but as they are 50% owned by the BBC,they felt they could not bring back a show or spin off that they had cancelled,so that got canned, the cost of making a promo is very high and if it was not picked up by one of the companies, it is money wasted, this idea is to making it and put it out so we would have something new to watch,if the sales were decent there would be money to make even more

So are you saying making a one off programme isn't much of a problem, and even if no one was interested in buying it or making a series, there would be a programme in existence that we could watch at least?

Would our contribution/investment go towards making the programme, marketing the programme, or both?

So are you saying making a one off programme isn't much of a problem, and even if no one was interested in buying it or making a series, there would be a programme in existence that we could watch at least?

Would our contribution/investment go towards making the programme, marketing the programme, or both?

Until I hear more I cannot answer that,I am assuming any investment would cover the coast of making and producing it,plus marketing

Surely they would need more money then we can come up with? The actors would need to be paid as well has the crew then there's production and post production costs.

It would be interesting to find out how much it would cost, if it was written by Roy Clarke it would be worth looking into.

I wonder if there are other TV companies interested in making such a programme.

Gone are the days where only the BBC and many regional ITV companies made their own programmes, with their own staff. Now there's so many obscure companies making stuff and selling it any TV channel, besides BBC.

If we want such a programme to be made, and with certain old favourites to be included, we need to act fast.

Back