What a Journey home

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
It sure did rain in Yorkshire yesterday and today, this morning we left Oakworth and had to take many detours to get back to the M62, once we passed Leeds the rain eased and by the time we reached home the sun was out,but many Yorkshire villages are flooded,we just managed to get out before Haworth was closed but mst of out normal routes were closed,so we had the joys of going around Bradford,now waiting for Barmpot to tell us he is okay

It sure did rain in Yorkshire yesterday and today, this morning we left Oakworth and had to take many detours to get back to the M62, once we passed Leeds the rain eased and by the time we reached home the sun was out,but many Yorkshire villages are flooded,we just managed to get out before Haworth was closed but mst of out normal routes were closed,so we had the joys of going around Bradford,now waiting for Barmpot to tell us he is okay

I hope Rod and everyone else is safe. Cumbria is getting flooded again, too. Haven't heard from or about friends in Keswick.

We were here this morning just before the centre of Haworth was closed off, this is the railway line used in Full steam Behind today,the main track underwater

Attachments

• 10296352_1091249700920517_764268889474144452_o.jpg
    10296352_1091249700920517_764268889474144452_o.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 15
Glad to hear you got home safe and sound Terry, let`s hope this awful weather clear`s up soon and no more people get flooded, hope all members who are in the affected area are OK take care.

Glad you managed to get home safely. I was in Haworth only a few months back heartbreaking to see it like this. So worrying and devastating to see so much of our great country under water and to witness, through the News programmes, the abject misery and despair it has inflicted on the affected people and their homes . I hope Barmpot and any other members facing this terrible flooding are all safe .

Sorry to hear about all of the floods. I hope that Holmfirth hasn't flooded as I have read that they experienced a serious flood in the 1800's.

Sorry to hear about all of the floods. I hope that Holmfirth hasn't flooded as I have read that they experienced a serious flood in the 1800's.

The two most recent floods were in 1852, when the Bilberry Reservoir embankment gave way due to cheap construction and lack of maintenance, and Whitmonday 1944, when a severe thunderstorm up in the hills caused flash flooding. A man who was a lad then was out in the rain helping herd cattle into a barn said later that the rain came down so fast and so hard that it was like standing under a waterfall. It was so much water all at once that the ground couldn't absorb it, so it ran off into the river very quickly, causing the flood.

Been a bit out of the loop owing to being not very well over Christmas. Hope everyone is ok and safe from the bad weather

Been a bit out of the loop owing to being not very well over Christmas. Hope everyone is ok and safe from the bad weather

Sometimes it would be nice to have a dislike button , not the post we wanted to see Amos . I was hoping like everyone else that you were over your health issues ,I pray this is just a small set back and you will continue to improve . Keep well , be lucky!:)

So sorry to hear you have not been well Amos. I do hope you are feeling better now. Take care

Sorry to hear you were not too good over Christmas Amos, I hope the New Year brings you lots of good health light and happiness.
:17::17:

Evening all

reporting from a slightly drying out Keighley.

Two feet six inches of water in cellar on Boxing Day, not river bursting banks but just rising water table. However there was less than afoort to spare that kept the river back from the defences. More due tonight.

Have spent last day and half removing sodden stuff from cellar - in my case mainly paper and things kept as they might ome in useful such as bubble wrap, tissue paper for packaging and such like. A few electric tools not used for a long time went but the only significant loss was the tumble drier, wet and dry vacuum cleaner and the dehumidifier - regard the last two as somewhat ironic. Stuff outside now awaitng pick up from Council.

Good community spirit here and people helping each other, so not as bad as it might have been.

So thanks every one who expressed concern, OK at present.

Evening all

reporting from a slightly drying out Keighley.

Two feet six inches of water in cellar on Boxing Day, not river bursting banks but just rising water table. However there was less than afoort to spare that kept the river back from the defences. More due tonight.

Have spent last day and half removing sodden stuff from cellar - in my case mainly paper and things kept as they might ome in useful such as bubble wrap, tissue paper for packaging and such like. A few electric tools not used for a long time went but the only significant loss was the tumble drier, wet and dry vacuum cleaner and the dehumidifier - regard the last two as somewhat ironic. Stuff outside now awaitng pick up from Council.

Good community spirit here and people helping each other, so not as bad as it might have been.

So thanks every one who expressed concern, OK at present.

Glad to hear you okay Rod and sorry that the cellar got soaked,I was in the Keighley area on Boxing day, in fact was there from Christmas day and the rain never stopped, we came across the floods in Haworth,tried to get home via Denholme but that road was shut, had to double back to the Flappit and head to Bradford,for some ways the roads were awash

Glad to hear you okay Rod and sorry that the cellar got soaked,I was in the Keighley area on Boxing day, in fact was there from Christmas day and the rain never stopped, we came across the floods in Haworth,tried to get home via Denholme but that road was shut, had to double back to the Flappit and head to Bradford,for some ways the roads were awash

Many roads impassable, on Boxign DAy evening there was only one way into my street instead of the usual five! And then there were none!

Had to park few streets away and walk through back passages which were slightly higher level as roads under water and I had already heard one car dragging some exhaust or something after it had come though flood water, obviously hitting a hidden object.

All clear for now ....