Wesley and Entwistle

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
For a few weeks I have wanted to cast my vote on a specific best series for Summer Wine. I keep going back among the 2001-2005 years (even though I know that would make a lot of the true vintage Summer Wine fans cringe).

Also, I am a true Summer Wine fan but not one that knows all the episodes and series by heart. I am leaning towards the 2001 and 202 series. I have observed the over that decade Clegg and Truly's active roles declined slowly over time. I also love Wesley and Edie and believe the show lost a bit with their departures.

At the same time I really enjoyed Enwistle's first few episodes and believe he added to the humor (not during the last two seasons). Now that I come to think of it Entwistle arrives after Wesley's departure from the show (correct me if I am wrong).

So my main question is..... Was Entwistle meant to be a replacement to Wesley? Afterall, they both had their vehicles that they used to transport the guys.

Which was Wesley's final episode. I understand from reading other posts, Wesley is likely to be much more popular than Entwistle among the forum members. I love both characters but might have to give a slight edge to Wesley as well.

In short, Id say the answer to your question is 'yes' mate.....Entwistle was the replacement for Wesley, a direct replacement. Sadly, by the end, he was promoted to being the replacement for Clegg, which is why it suffered over the last 2 series. Entwistle was a good character, but never main 3 material.

In short, Id say the answer to your question is 'yes' mate.....Entwistle was the replacement for Wesley, a direct replacement. Sadly, by the end, he was promoted to being the replacement for Clegg, which is why it suffered over the last 2 series. Entwistle was a good character, but never main 3 material.

Wow, thanks for the fast response Mr. Enwright!

I thought Enwistle was great. I doubt he could have really replaced Clegg but with those last two seasons....they had such pooor roles for him. He just followed Hobbo around making silly facial expressions!!!!!! Perhaps Burt Kwouk was also a bit too elderly at the time for the responsibility of a legitimate lead role.

Wesly's last appearance was in It All Began With An Old Volvo Headlamp.
It's strange how Howard,Tom,Billy and Truly could all drive but Wesley was the only one with a vehicle.

Wesley was a smashing character and it was a real loss when Gordon Wharmby died. His first 2 appearances were cracking episodes and he was always some of the glue that held things together in later days. Even when it was just a brief appearance. He is one of my favourite characters.

Wesley was a smashing character and it was a real loss when Gordon Wharmby died. His first 2 appearances were cracking episodes and he was always some of the glue that held things together in later days. Even when it was just a brief appearance. He is one of my favourite characters.

I loved his description of his landrover 'It's a Ferrari in overalls' sheer class

I know just replied to your quest Mr. Enright but I was thinking about it Entwistle replacing Clegg more in the final two episodes. My Public Television Station is about to start the 2006 series and I know that, sadly, 2009 and 2010 are just around the corner. However, now I have an interest in seeing these two seasons. I want to pay close attention and see if Burt Kwouk really had a fair chance to shine with the scripts. Properly replacing Clegg would have been impossible but I want to see if Kwouk's character really had a fair chance in the last two series.

Now with the knowledge of Wesley's final appearance with "It all started with an old Volvo HeadLamp" I am deciding between the 2001 and 2002 seasons as my all time favorites.

Back