Weather Changes

C

Compo

My wife and I just got back from Austria two days ago. One of the reasons we chose to go there was to get away from this heat. But it was almost same as here in Malta. I know there are one or two Germans in this forum so can any of you explain why a/c or electric fans don't exist in these areas??? In the past years we have been to the Black Forest and Tyrol and now Austria and always had the same problem. It wasn't just the hotels but cafes etc. We asked a Cafe owner why he didn't have a/c and he said this heat is only for a couple of days and then it gets cool again. Ok he was right because on the third day we had to use quilts at night. I think with this Ozone layer and all these colder countries have to make changes as it is getting to hot for us tourists.

Well, the cafe owner was right. Usually the heat just doesn´t last long enough here (or doesn´t get hot enough) so that air condition would pay off. I don´t know about Italy or Spain, but I think even there it´s not commonplace in private homes. Plus we are rather environmentally conscious. We use fans instead which is less of an energy waste. And if it really gets unbearable, we just endure it. But I must say, I can only remember one heatwave that was so bad that we actually wished we had air condition at home, we had nearly 40 degrees for several weeks and no rain, but this is extremely unusual. We do get warmer a bit than Great Britain in summer, but just like the British we don´t bother with air condition. The cars mostly have it though (except mine, lol), and this is okay since you can´t concentrate when it´s 60 degrees in there or more. I get that and it tires you out. One day I had a really hard plastic parking disc in the window and when I came back, it was bent and useless.
I think we do what the Southern Europeans do, when it gets too hot, we just have a siesta ;). We are used to it not being perfectly cool and comfortable everywhere we go, so when it´s hot, we know what we are in for and brace ourselves, knowing it won´t last for more than a week in a row normally ;). Just like being used to severe freezing in winter when we get as low as -12 or even down to -30 in places.

The more I read of the weather conditions you all suffer, the more I realise how lucky I am living somewhere the weather is quite temperate.

Well, the cafe owner was right. Usually the heat just doesn´t last long enough here (or doesn´t get hot enough) so that air condition would pay off. I don´t know about Italy or Spain, but I think even there it´s not commonplace in private homes. Plus we are rather environmentally conscious. We use fans instead which is less of an energy waste. And if it really gets unbearable, we just endure it. But I must say, I can only remember one heatwave that was so bad that we actually wished we had air condition at home, we had nearly 40 degrees for several weeks and no rain, but this is extremely unusual. We do get warmer a bit than Great Britain in summer, but just like the British we don´t bother with air condition. The cars mostly have it though (except mine, lol), and this is okay since you can´t concentrate when it´s 60 degrees in there or more. I get that and it tires you out. One day I had a really hard plastic parking disc in the window and when I came back, it was bent and useless.
I think we do what the Southern Europeans do, when it gets too hot, we just have a siesta ;). We are used to it not being perfectly cool and comfortable everywhere we go, so when it´s hot, we know what we are in for and brace ourselves, knowing it won´t last for more than a week in a row normally ;). Just like being used to severe freezing in winter when we get as low as -12 or even down to -30 in places.
**** you are right. There is no point in spending money for something that will only be used a few days out of the year.
I know about things melting in the car. We have 100+ degree days for several months and you just bear it and know that it will cool off late October. Of course our temperatures never get below 20 degrees. I think we average about 35 degrees during our coldest days. :D

In Spain and Italy we always found a/c in hotels, restaurants etc. Even in Northern Italy where it would be a bit cooler then the south. When you don't see a/c hanging out of house windows it could be they have central a/c. In Malta our heat is desert dry but we also have lots of humidity. It is unbearable. Like I had said that even in your garden, no matter how much you water outdoor plants seem to die..

I have found in my later years I cannot tolerate to much heat, or the cold for that matter,but it seems easier to keep warm than it is to stay cool,over a year ago we had air con installed in our current home,it is a static park home and part of it's design is a metal roof which looks like normal roofing tiles,because of this once the sun hits the roof,then very quickly the temperature rises and before long it can be over 30c, it is ideal with winter sunshine as it keeps the heating cost down,but in the summer without air con it would be unbearable, fortunately the air con unit is economical to run and can be used as a quick warm up in the winter,so anyone considering a static home do bear in mind the roof construction,other than that they are a great place to live,on our park there are no resident children or pets,there are around 350 homes here yet most times you would think the place was empty as it is so quiet,now if we could stop the ducks from quaking so early we will of cracked it.

Hot weather not my thing but temperate yes,ac not great makes me cough but I like the weather in Northumberland best when its sunny lovely rain not to bad.

Whoa, I wish we had air condition now, it´s 36 degrees (centigrade, 97 for the Fahrenheit people), hottest day of the year... I would never have thought we´d get that this summer which has been so cold and rainy in June and July, I even had to turn the radiator on then. And now we had a rather hot week with a peak today. How is it in England and everyhwere else? I understand in South England it´s rather warm, too. But 36 is a bit over the top.

Oh god! That´s what we got in the summer of 2003, I think mostly in August, too. In Germany...! NOT normal. I hope you have air condition, we haven´t. It´s much better now again already.

Yes, we have AC and have been ever so grateful for it!!! ;D
But it's finally, finally cooling off a bit into the high 80's.

It's been cooler here too- about 90 degrees. We also have a hurricane that is in the Gulf and will probably hit close to Louisiana tomorrow.

Are you in that area, then? Keep you head down, if you are. Stay safe, yeah?
I'm near Dallas, Texas. We are safe and normally don't get too much here other than the rain. The coastal towns are the ones that get all of the wind & rain damage.

Here in the US, sometimes when it is really hot outside and it's really chilly inside due to the air conditioning; when you finally go outside the sudden temperature change can almost be unhealthy. Air conditioning is not all it's cracked up to be.

I live near Melton Mowbray and its freezing cold !! and like you am fed up with it. To quote a familiar line I wish this cold weather would "Bog off"

Back