Was this Clegg's First House

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty sure this was Cleggy's first house location,difficult to get close up,I think it was the houses on the right of the picture,with gardens in the front,not the ones at the top

CEH.jpg

i see the resemblance but i think the first house was in holmfirth...a good view of it in the blamire years in hailsummer morn or thereabouts where they are photographing a caterpillar outside the house....happy to be corrected.

i see the resemblance but i think the first house was in holmfirth...a good view of it in the blamire years in hailsummer morn or thereabouts where they are photographing a caterpillar outside the house....happy to be corrected.

This is in Holmfirth and if I could get to the spot in the Garden where I believe they were standing it would be the same views

and may I ask, when Clegg moves into the third house ( Howard says, "Roses round the door." ) why was he moved?

In reality, he was moved because during the 1990 series there was a debate with the people at the houses over filming. Alan JW Bell wasn't prepared to pay more money, so looked for a new location.

A brief explanation was needed to explain the change of house - simply that he was 're-housed'.

To explain this better, perhaps one could assume Clegg lived in a council house, and the council found him a better house?

We don't really know.

As well as the first house in Hail Smiling Morn, there's a house shown at the end of Small Tune on a Penny Wasail.

It looks similar, but I'm not sure if it is the same.

Anyone?

To explain this better, perhaps one could assume Clegg lived in a council house, and the council found him a better house?

We don't really know.

The very fact that Howard and Pearl were rehoused also very much supports its being a Council rehousing.

Of the first two, I'm not sure which came first, but there was:

1. The house with three rooms, the Front Room; Dining Room and Kitchen with a back door as seen in Full Steam Behind. The lovely green checked curtains were exactly like the curtains in the Cafe.

2. The house with the front door on the left and upon entering, a drop leaf table under a window. The room is a front room and kitchen combo as seen in the Christmas show where Compo buys Nora a lovely hat and then scorches it in the oven.

3. And then there was Number 5, the one we remember the best.

In the episode when they went camping Clegg got all the gear out inthe back garden,dont remember the front room in the clip shown earlier but it was not good tv.The house behind the church and looking down towards the cafe was the one that stood out most in early episodes.

Back