Victoria Park Holmfirth.

I’ve just been looking at a Welcome to Summer Wine Country magazine I bought in Holmfirth in 1998.
There is an article about the remains of Yateholme Farm which was rebuilt in Victoria Park when the structure would have been submerged in one of the reservoirs. It was used as a park shelter and was used in the early episodes....including the Blamire days. I can also remember Howard and Marina skulking in there in the Foggy days. It was square with an open front and side stone mullioned windows and a crenelated top rather like a small castle. When I visited the park a few years ago I was horrified to see it had been removed.
I wonder if any locals know what happened to it? My guess is that the Health and Safety nazis on the town council had it removed. This was an ancient structure....the farm dated from before the Domesday Book.
I would imagine it was erected when the park was built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897....which would tie in with the construction of the Victorian reservoirs.
I think it was dreadful shame to remove it....and where is it now?

I’ve just been looking at a Welcome to Summer Wine Country magazine I bought in Holmfirth in 1998.
There is an article about the remains of Yateholme Farm which was rebuilt in Victoria Park when the structure would have been submerged in one of the reservoirs. It was used as a park shelter and was used in the early episodes....including the Blamire days. I can also remember Howard and Marina skulking in there in the Foggy days. It was square with an open front and side stone mullioned windows and a crenelated top rather like a small castle. When I visited the park a few years ago I was horrified to see it had been removed.
I wonder if any locals know what happened to it? My guess is that the Health and Safety nazis on the town council had it removed. This was an ancient structure....the farm dated from before the Domesday Book.
I would imagine it was erected when the park was built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897....which would tie in with the construction of the Victorian reservoirs.
I think it was dreadful shame to remove it....and where is it now?

See the thread titled "The changing face of rural...Holmfirth", page 4, starting near the bottom of the page.

By the way, all of Pete's "then and now" photos are wonderful! It's worthwhile looking at the entire thread.

Back