USA in 1904

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
I came across this in a routine posting I get from USA which might be of interest to our friends over the other side of the Atlantic -

110 YEARS AGO IN THE USA...

~ The average life expectancy in the United States was forty-seven.

~ Only 14 percent of the homes in the United States had a bathtub.

~ Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

~ There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

~ The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

~ Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the twenty-first most populous state in the Union.

~ The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

~ The average wage in the U.S. was twenty-two cents an hour. The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year. A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2500 per year, a veterinarian between $1500 and $4000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5000 per year.

~ More than 95 percent of all births in the United States took place at home.

~ Ninety percent of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

~ Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. Coffee cost fifteen cents a pound.

~ Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

~ The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

~ The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

~ Drive-by-shootings -- in which teenage boys galloped down the street on horses and started randomly shooting at houses, carriages, or anything else that caught their fancy -- were an ongoing problem in Denver and other cities in the West.

~ The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was thirty. The remote desert community was inhabited by only a handful of ranchers and their families.

~ Plutonium, insulin, and antibiotics hadn't been discovered yet. Scotch tape, crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

~ There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

~ One in ten U.S. adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

~ Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

~ Coca-Cola contained cocaine instead of caffeine.

~ Punch card data processing had recently been developed, and early predecessors of the modern computer were used for the first time by the government to help compile the 1900 census.

~ Eighteen percent of households in the United States had at least one full-time servant or domestic.

~ There were about 230 reported murders in the U.S. annually.

That was great Barmpot, not sure about only washing my hair once a month though :35:

Coca-cola had cocaine and you couldn't get in trouble for smoking marijuana? I wish I lived back then! LOL ( Just kidding, I swear! ) But seriously, I couldn't even begin to imagine not having real shampoo. I bet their hair got really gross by the end of the month.

... not sure about only washing my hair once a month though :35:

That's why hair was styled to be partly concealed under a hat, and the convention of always wearing a hat outside the house probably was perpetuated by the fact that most of the time the hair wasn't very clean. I wouldn't be surprised if women who did their own housework covered their hair with a turban or a kerchief to keep the dust off, too, so the hair wasn't on show very much at all.

Marianna

Head lice were very common too, I hate change but some things do change for the better.

That's why hair was styled to be partly concealed under a hat, and the convention of always wearing a hat outside the house probably was perpetuated by the fact that most of the time the hair wasn't very clean. I wouldn't be surprised if women who did their own housework covered their hair with a turban or a kerchief to keep the dust off, too, so the hair wasn't on show very much at all.

Marianna
I wonder whether wearing a hat helped prevent hair getting so dirty? You sometimes see photographs of them wearing a hat indoors. Men often had smoking caps to keep the smell of their cigars from their hair; now how often did the men wash their hair?:biggrin::biggrin:

Head lice were very common too, I hate change but some things do change for the better.

I had lice when I was a kid because it's hard to get from age 5 to age 11 without getting it at least once. LOL That stuff is no fun, though. I bet they didn't have stuff to kill it with back then either.

... lice ... I bet they didn't have stuff to kill it with back then either.

If Call the Midwife can be believed, in London's East End in the '50s they first used a very fine-toothed comb to remove the nits, then saturated the hair and coated the scalp with olive oil, which probably smothered the lice, leaving it at least overnight, covered with a shower cap.

Marianna

If Call the Midwife can be believed, in London's East End in the '50s they first used a very fine-toothed comb to remove the nits, then saturated the hair and coated the scalp with olive oil, which probably smothered the lice, leaving it at least overnight, covered with a shower cap.

Marianna

You know, I bet using olive oil was a pretty smart idea. That lice shampoo they have now is harsh and it burns. I can also remember my mom combing my hair with that comb when I was a kid. She wasn't very gentle with it either. LOL

My daughter works in a school and says that the way kids huddle together when they are playing explains why the lice transfer so easily. Some mums spend a fortune treating their kids for lice only to have it all undone next day by the parents that don't bother! :unhappy::13:

My daughter works in a school and says that the way kids huddle together when they are playing explains why the lice transfer so easily. Some mums spend a fortune treating their kids for lice only to have it all undone next day by the parents that don't bother! :unhappy::13:

I've always said that, I used to check my kids daily and spend loads of money on nit shampoo so did most of the other parents and all it takes is for one not to bother.

I've always said that, I used to check my kids daily and spend loads of money on nit shampoo so did most of the other parents and all it takes is for one not to bother.

Right! When I had it as a kid, my mom told me to stay away from the kids I got it from, but they were my friends, so of course I didn't. Luckily, all of our parents took care of it. But you're right, all it takes is one kid to start an epidemic.

Marianna

Sounds familiar from my school days - we were inspected twice year by the nit nurse. Can still buy those very fine combs as nits are still a problem - something that modern society has not eradicated. In fact the blighters are getting more resistant to traditional potions and lotions.

... nits are still a problem - something that modern society has not eradicated. In fact the blighters are getting more resistant to traditional potions and lotions.

Sounds very similar to bedbugs. After DDT was outlawed, for very good cause, their population became large enough to show up just about anywhere.

Whenever I travel, before bringing my luggage into the room I do a cursory inspection by pulling the sheets and mattress cover down from the head of the bed and turning the binding around the edge of the mattress back to look for the dark brown specks left by their droppings. My primary purpose is to ensure against their hitchhiking on my luggage to my next lodging, or back home with me, since they're extremely difficult to eradicate once they've populated a space.

Marianna

Marianna

This intrigued me. I have tried unsuccessfully to research it. I just have a feeling that back in the early fifties we had never heard of olive oil. I thought we used something far more vicious like lye soap. Something I did note suggested olive oil does not work. Does not kill the eggs.

Back