Truly's trilby

Flat Cap

So, I'm a fan of hats. Newsboys, flat caps, fedoras. I came across this trilby by Christy's and wanted to see if anyone knew whether this was the type of trilby worn by the character Truly. It's a Christy's Espom:

http://www.topsecrethats.com/Christys-Epsom-Fur-Felt-Trilby

I guess it could have been any make of brown trilby, but the Christy's looks to be spot on in color and the size of the ribbon.

Best,

Flat Cap

Flat cap - I like hats too. Bowler, Homburg, boater, panama - I have them all. Beret, pork pie and so on.

I agree that the hat looks very likely: Christy's made hats for other retailers, notably Dunn's. Might just have been the Goodwood one.

Christy's made my grey and my brown Homburgs for me in the 1990s - as a special order.

This is certainly not a topic of my expertise but I will say I always thought of Truly as the sharpest dressed of the guys. With his Trilby, Trench Coat, and Gloves, he had a "cool, calm, and collective" persona. This was quite different from the other characters!

Barmpot:

I think it was most likely fur felt, what with the tight front pinch. Wool felts tend to not hold their shape as well. I agree, the Christy's Epsom looks spot on. To add to my collection, I've just ordered a Compo knit hat from Saturday Knit Fever on Etsy; she advertised the hat for sale in the Trade thread. Now it's off to find me Clegg cap. :) I actually have a lady in Holmfirth - found her on Etsy too - looking for the material/pattern. Her store is here in case you or anyone else is interested:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moaningminnie

Barmpot:

Tried to send you a message but I don't think it worked. Speaking of the Goodwood...have you ever seen one up close? If so, how would you compare it to the Epsom? I know it's wool felt and the Epsom is fur, but some wool felts are fairly nice. (I fear I've been jaded by the Fedora Lounge ;) )

I'm thinking the Goodwood might be the better choice of the two if for no other reason than the price.

Flat Cap
looking at Truly's I would definitely say fur felt - a lot finer than wool felt.

Thus the Epsom will reflect the better quality. I have just taken delivery of new hat - a light grey bowler actually - and it is wool felt. Not as smooth or as fine as the fur felt but about a quarter to one third of the price!

Wool felt does wear out quicker, especially where you hold it at the front, and has a coarser feel and look.

From a distance the Goodwoood would look OK but close up not as brilliant. Most of mine are fur felt although, some imported from USA which are crushable are very fine wool felt (used for everyday use as they withstand continual soaking).

Goodness, there is more to trilby hats than I realised.

Sue, there is an awful lot to hats. I used to sell them 40 years ago and have a large personal collection which I wear. I wore my navy beret to collect my parcel this morning but this evening may use my navy Tilley Hat!

If you want to get ahead - get a hat! As the old advertising slogan of the 1950s said ...

I love hats. I don't get as much change to wear one though. My husband wears a flat cap.

Barmpot:

Thanks for answering my questions. With your years of experience selling hats, would you reccomend that I get a 59 cm Epsom if my head measures 23 and 1/4"? Of course I'll ask the sellers at Top Secret Hats, which is where I'm most likely going to buy from. Also, I know it's difficult to explain colors, but I'm leaning to the Peatwood. Is that essentially how it looks on Top Secret Hats, an earthy dark brown?

Best,

Flat Cap

BTW, you mentioned that you bought some crushable wool felts before. Have you ever purchased the Bailey Tino? I almost got that instead of the Epsom, but the Epsom just looks too nice to pass up. The Tino is really popular, has been made for years by Bailey, and is water repellant in addition to being crushable. Just wanted to pass that along in case you were looking for a wool felt fedora that can withstand some downpours.

Who knew hat buying was so technical? I have no idea what you fellers are talking about, but it sounds fantastic! When you choose your preferred hat, send us a photo! I 'd love to see which you bought.

Back