Top Blamire Episodes

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
My Public TV Station is on the verge of completing the Blamire Years. Man from Oswestry will air on Tuesday, but I will be out of town on Monday so technically for me the Blamire years have ended its rotation since I will miss Northern Flying Circus. It will be the last time I see a Blamire episode for a while. I know, I can watch these shows on youtube, but for me, its just not the same.

So as a final reflection I would like to reflect on the top episodes of this time. In a recent post I commented on how "Of Funerals and Fish", Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe, and New Mobile Trio gets so much praise on this forum as well as the previous expired forum. However, two of my favorites, Short Back and Palais Glide and Pate and Chips never get mentioned.

So, here is my unofficial top five. It is unofficial because I unfortunately missed New Mobile Trio, Hail Smiling Morn, A Quiet Drink, and Northern Flying Circus. I have seen New Mobile Trio and the one where Blamire is into photography before, but it was a while back and I don't recall the details. I am more versed with the Truly years.

Starting with my very favorite...

1. Short Back and Palais Glide
2. Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe
3. Pate and Chips
4. Changing Face of Rural Blamire
5. Of Funerals and Fish

And just some reflections on my favorite three

Pate and Chips- I enjoy the episodes with Compo's family (reminds me of my extended family when I was young). I also got a kick out of how Blamire was uncomfortable around them. It seemed like Blamire loosened up a bit with his "classy appearance" and was more open to fooling around with the guys (library scenes) in the second season.

Ballad of Wind Instruments - Some of the later episodes reminds me of the earlier ones. This one reminded me of one of my all time favorites, Follow that Bottle.

Palais Glide - Every once in a while I particularly enjoy an episode where the guys just wander around aimlessly. Here, if I can recall correctly, they roam from the library, to Ms. Partridge's, to the Police Station, back to the library, all for the failed attempt to get Compo's key. Each scene is fun in its own way (I am probably forgetting a scene or two). This also reminds me of another episode, Dried Dates and Codfanglers, where there is a lot of aimless wandering and failed attempts to find Compo's belongings. I think these episodes attract me because they remind me of my childhood time with friends.

OK, sorry for the extra log post....what is your top three, five, or ten?

Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret
Hail September Morn
Ballad For Wind Instrument and Canoe
Of Funerals and Fish
Short Back and Palais Glide

Inventor of the 40 foot ferret is and always will be my number one simply because my favourite ever line,
"If I had a match I could light me fag......if I had a fag"

My top Blaimire Episodes......

Hail september morn
A quiet Drink
Forked Lightning
Ballard for wind instrument and canoe.

Inventor of the 40 Foot Ferret
Hail September Morn
Ballad For Wind Instrument and Canoe
Of Funerals and Fish
Short Back and Palais Glide

Inventor of the 40 foot ferret is and always will be my number one simply because my favourite ever line,
"If I had a match I could light me fag......if I had a fag"

Exactly the same as mine and in the same order.

;D While I agree with most of everyones lists , BALLAD FOR WIND INSTRUMENTS AND CANOE has to top my list . For the simple reason of ARMPEPPER and his " Howdo lads ,anybody seen a canoe?"". It was perfect SUMMER WINE and he should have stayed for at least one more show! However he probably did not suit every one . :D

I agree Dick, would've to have seen Armpepper again, a proper Summer Wine Barmpot.

Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts
The New Mobile Trio
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire

I really like them all except Spring Fever,A Quiet Drink and Northern Flying Cirus.Although i do watch these episodes from time to time,they just dont seem quite as good as the others.

Hector.

Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts
The New Mobile Trio
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire

I really like them all except Spring Fever,A Quiet Drink and Northern Flying Cirus.Although i do watch these episodes from time to time,they just dont seem quite as good as the others.

Hector.
thats my favourite 3 too

I also agree with Hector.

These are my favorite episodes that i watch the most.

Short back and Palais guide.
Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts.
The New Mobile Trio.
The Changing Face of Rural Blamire.
Pate and Chips.
A quiet Drink.
Forked Lightning.
Ballad for Wind Instruments.

These below are the ones that i rarely watch, they don't really hit the (comedy) spot for me, i find some of them a bit corny.

Inventor of the forty foot ferret.
Spring fever.
Who's that dancing with Nora Batty?.
Some enchanted evening.
Northern flying circus.

G ; )

My Favourites would be

1)Hail September Morn
2)Short Back and Palais Glide
3)Of Funerals and Fish
4)Forked Lightning
5)Changing Face of Rural Blamire
6)Ballad for Wind Instruments and Canoe

(New Mobile Trio Would, get a honourable mention as well)

The only Blamire episodes I'm not keen on are Some Enchanted Evening, Northern Flying Circus and Spring Fever.

Thanks for sharing everyone, and I learned some things. The main thing is my favorite, Short Back and Palais Glide, is praised afterall. Thank you Blue Printz for there is at least one other person that can recognize Pate and Chips. Having episodes like Cheering Up Gordon, Pate and Chips, etc. where the gang are driven elsewhere is always a special treat.

I also find a few of the episodes as not enjoyable. These are Whos that dancing with Nora Batty and Some Enchanted Evening.

Back