Tom Owen interview.

I've seen that, he sounds quite bitter sometimes. I don't think they had a very close relationship.

It was in an article in the paper once ,he never felt all that close because Bill was something of a "distant " father.:(

An interview from last year with Tom Owen. He speaks a lot about his dad, interesting that he refers to him mostly as 'Bill' and not dad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01CaJMPzx5k

He does actually refer to him as Father quite often. He seems to shift between Father and Bill - he does say dad at 9.59. when referring to the money that he was sent, £7 a week, which probably helped him survive while he was learning the acting game. I don't get any impression from that interview of any ill feelings. He even says that his father backed him when he chose to be an actor and that he was a huge inspiration to him. He seems to refer to him more as Bill when they were both together as adults. I don't find this unusual.

If you add all the interviews together and read between the lines I think there may have been a bit of professional jealousy there. The way he refers to his dad has Bill at all is big give away. I would never call my dad by his given name.
He also has a go at Cathy Staff in one interview, which isn't very professional at all.

I would never have called my dad by his Christian name either. It wasn't the done thing, nor is it nowadays. I think it would have been regarded as disrespectful to call your mam or dad by their first names.

I would never refer to my dad as Fred either.

I was disappointed in seeing Tom say that. Tom is very open about his feelings in regards to his father which is to his discredit.

I hate to see someone attack their own parents in a public way. Of course now days, it's being done quite often.

While not rushing to Tom's defence, I understand that he spent some time with his mother after the split between Bill Owen and his first wife, which may help explain the 'distance'.

Interestingly I do know a few people who refer to their parents by their first names rather than mother or father; not something I would ever do but I have noticed it!

I wonder if that is another new trend calling your parents by their given name. It is funny I never noticed but I tend to hang with an older crowd and watch a lot of classic TV.

That is one trend I will never get use to.

I have a friend that always called his parents by their given name. I found it odd, and as if they were more of "friends" than a parent , child relationship. They were quite liberal, that may have something to do about it.

In regard to the Tom interviews, The one I read, I took it that he wasn't that close to him. Staying with mother after the split, may be why. Don't you think he looks more like Bill now that he has aged and has a scruffy beard in some of his scenes acting?

Last edited:
In regard to the Tom interviews, The one I read, I took it that he wasn't that close to him. Staying with mother after the split, may be why. Don't you think he looks more like Bill now that he has aged and has a scruffy beard in some of his scenes acting?

Apparently the split between Bill and his first wife was not the most pleasant - if I ead the accounts correctly.

Both my parents died in the same year when I was in my early thirties, so I always feel sad when families have difficult relationships, I would have given everything to have had my parents for longer.

So how many children have really close relationships with their father? It sounds like Bill didn't sing Kumbaya with Tom; but when Tom expressed an interest in acting, Bill helped to him to get a start.

Back