Thora Hird - Went the Day Well

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Just watched Thora Hird in an old British WW2 movie
called Went the Day Well. Great old movie about
Nazi soldiers invading a small village in England.
Dame Thora was shooting Nazis really well. Did
not recognize her; had to depend on the credits
to see which was her.

I always thought Jack Higgins borrowed his plot for "The Eagle Has Landed" from this movie.

I always thought Jack Higgins borrowed his plot for "The Eagle Has Landed" from this movie.

Hmm yes there are a similarities, it had never occurred to me before, but aside from that I do enjoy watching old British films, anyone got a favourite ?? One of mine is whisky Galore, The lady Killers is great as well.

Hmm yes there are a similarities, it had never occurred to me before, but aside from that I do enjoy watching old British films, anyone got a favourite ?? One of mine is whisky Galore, The lady Killers is great as well.

Love " The Lady Killers Norm( No one is doing Mrs Lopsided!!) " "The Lavender Hill Mob " is great as well!
We used to watch "The Titfield Thunderbolt " on a quiet sunday ,quite regularly.:29:

Those 50's comedies were all classics and still stand the test of time. Apart from the previously mentioned 'Ladykillers' and 'Titfield Thunderbolt' my favourites would be 'Barnacle Bill' with Alec Guiness, and 'The Smallest Show on Earth' with Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna, supported by Margaret Rutherford, Peter Sellers, and Bernard Miles.

Those 50's comedies were all classics and still stand the test of time. Apart from the previously mentioned 'Ladykillers' and 'Titfield Thunderbolt' my favourites would be 'Barnacle Bill' with Alec Guiness, and 'The Smallest Show on Earth' with Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna, supported by Margaret Rutherford, Peter Sellers, and Bernard Miles.

"We wanna see the flea" is a line that springs to mind from The Smallest Show on Earth. ;D Also " Samara, Samoa, Samarkand and Sloughborough !"

Funny how odd lines seem to stick!!:wink:

Last edited:
Back