The Summerwine.net music thread

Remember when folk singers used to put a hand to their ear while singing. Irish folk artists did it also. Screenshot 2024-01-14 3.56.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-01-14 3.55.33 PM.pngIt seemed to be a seventies thing, which died out. Steeleye Span pictured here in 1974.

Surely this is the definitive song about Manchester?

Ahh, that’s the Manchester I used to love ;) It’s unrecognisable now.
I had to go to a client in some new apartments near the Arena the other week and I came in from Salford. I knew where I was but everything had changed since I was last there. The few old buildings I remembered were there but they were surrounded by the huge sky scrapers blocking out the light.

Brilliant, I’m going to have to go and watch his Jack The Ripper Tour episode now as it was one of my favourites.
How about Frankie Vaughan crooning about Stockport.. used to be in Cheshire but got gobbled up by Manchester!!

I am indeed also in April can't wait . In years gone by I always looked forward to his special Xmas show on R4 [there is a former year's show still on Away in a Mangle] but a couple of years back my anticipation got the better of me so I mailed Komedia to confirm there would a special that year. When the response came back I was crestfallen to learn the the BBC had not commissioned the show so sadly there would be nothing to look forward to . It looks like Auntie is done with the Count, which to me is just criminal so my only chance for new material is to go to the show.:mad:

I am indeed also in April can't wait . In years gone by I always looked forward to his special Xmas show on R4 [there is a former year's show still on Away in a Mangle] but a couple of years back my anticipation got the better of me so I mailed Komedia to confirm there would a special that year. When the response came back I was crestfallen to learn the the BBC had not commissioned the show so sadly there would be nothing to look forward to . It looks like Auntie is done with the Count, which to me is just criminal so my only chance for new material is to go to the show.:mad:
That's so sad, there wasn't a John Shuttleworth Christmas special either last year. Whilst I like much of the newer stuff on R4 there's some utter dross which clearly is only there to tick a box.
I'm seeing CAS in May so I'd be really interested to hear what you think of him :)

Just very odd. Nimoy was the breakout character as Spock during the original run of Star Trek (though not many would appreciated it until syndicated reruns). Why he felt the need to do a song based on a Tolkien character is a mystery. The 60s were a weird time.

Back