The Post box.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
SW1%20004_zps8e6dxm6o.jpg
Marsden%203-15%20020_zps6o9rbicf.jpg

Wow, Brenda. Good job. Still doesn't seem long enough for mail to go back and forth. What did people do before that, lol? Use a pigeon? Just go and visit? That would make it about 1854 when it started. If you were wealthy, no problem. Send a servant.

Wow, Dennis. Great info. Love it and thanks so much for being kind enough to post that.

Wow, Brenda. Good job. Still doesn't seem long enough for mail to go back and forth. What did people do before that, lol? Use a pigeon? Just go and visit? That would make it about 1854 when it started. If you were wealthy, no problem. Send a servant.
If my mind is not playing tricks, I've not checked this , I think the penny Black was used about 1840 .:08:

A Penny in 1840 is worth 32p now [according to historic money calculation site] first class stamp is now 64p so much more economic to send a letter then than now. However there are overheads now , Postman Pat has to buy Jess cat food and its not cheap! :08:

I didn't even notice the initials when I took the photo.Theres loads of these post boxes around,I'm going to start looking at them to see if I can find a rare VR,a hobby even sadder than the ones I currently have,if I find one I will take a photo,I think my best chance is the old remote villages in the Peak District where I go walking like Hope and Edale.When I took the photo there is a ladies hairdressers very near to it which was used as the Citizens Advice Bureau where Compo went with Nora,and I could see them all looking at me wondering why I was taking a photo of a post box,if I see a VR I'll be taking another one :)

I didn't even notice the initials when I took the photo.Theres loads of these post boxes around,I'm going to start looking at them to see if I can find a rare VR,a hobby even sadder than the ones I currently have,if I find one I will take a photo,I think my best chance is the old remote villages in the Peak District where I go walking like Hope and Edale.When I took the photo there is a ladies hairdressers very near to it which was used as the Citizens Advice Bureau where Compo went with Nora,and I could see them all looking at me wondering why I was taking a photo of a post box,if I see a VR I'll be taking another one :)

Pete they used that area many times, the fake zebra crossing in Crums where they stopped Wesley is just one that springs to mind

I apologise in advance for maybe repeating myself but I assume a lot of the props may have been destroyed or sold off but some may survive and are in a BBC Store somewhere, alongside items from some historic shows. Surely it's worth an hour's documentary to have a camera and presenter peer into these storage depots to see what has happened to these items , given the popularity of the shows at the time and indeed now I am sure the interest is there .

The analogy I can draw was a documentary a few years back made about the Las Vegas neon sign Museum in the US because it not only was fascinating to see iconic signs that were seen in films and TV shows the presenter gave a little bit of an insight into the history of Vegas itself.

I apologise in advance for maybe repeating myself but I assume a lot of the props may have been destroyed or sold off but some may survive and are in a BBC Store somewhere, alongside items from some historic shows. Surely it's worth an hour's documentary to have a camera and presenter peer into these storage depots to see what has happened to these items , given the popularity of the shows at the time and indeed now I am sure the interest is there .

The analogy I can draw was a documentary a few years back made about the Las Vegas neon sign Museum in the US because it not only was fascinating to see iconic signs that were seen in films and TV shows the presenter gave a little bit of an insight into the history of Vegas itself.

Several years ago when the show finished, the BBC offered Holmfirth many of the production props, a local businessman was going to have them transported to Holmfirth and they were to be displayed in the building where Lodges supermarket was in the bus station, the BBC stated there was a short time limit to do this before the items were disposed of, as it never happened I can only assume it could not be done in the time frame the BBC wanted and everything was scrapped , I also think the BBC at the time was keen to dispose of everything related to the show so there was no chance of it returning or even a final special

I decided to bite the bullet and send the BBC an enquiry through the BBC website which the sent and auto response that it was received and they would come back to me at some point . I will share any feedback . Clearly some items were auctioned I recall one of the members in the US posting they had Foggy's cap/jacket but regardless if the BEEB has disposed of the LOTSW props it would still be nice to look in their Prop Store .

I decided to bite the bullet and send the BBC an enquiry through the BBC website which the sent and auto response that it was received and they would come back to me at some point . I will share any feedback . Clearly some items were auctioned I recall one of the members in the US posting they had Foggy's cap/jacket but regardless if the BEEB has disposed of the LOTSW props it would still be nice to look in their Prop Store .

The Lady in the US who had Foggy's clothes is a friend of mine, when Foggy died his wife asked the BBC could she have Foggy clothes,which they passed onto her, when she died they were put up for auction on eBay via a charity where the money ended up,as a thank you she let me keep Foggy's cap which I still have today

Back