The Grand Depart

barmpot

LOTSW Fanatic
As I drove up this morning to a Chapter meeting (those in Anglican circles will know what that is) my route took me along some parts of the forthcoming cycling event to be held this week-end. The bunting in jersey shapes (rather than traditional triangular pennants) in red spots, yellow or green as well as the union flag adorn much of the town.:17: :17:

Apparently there are still some who are not aware that you will be unable to get a car from one side of Keighley to the other - I am totally cut off vehicle-wise from most of my friends who live the other side of the route. I could drive to York, up towards Ripon and then across to Grassington and down towards Colne and then through the lanes to get to the other side of Keighley in my car! Somehow I think not! :32: :32:

However are any others going to see it? As it passes within half a mile of where I live I might as well go and see the lycra clad individuals flash by.

And it goes through Holmfirth and up Holme Moss (which is featured in many cycling events) so what would our intrepid heroes have made of it?

:42::42:

Last edited:
I saw all the spotty bunting the other week when we were up there. All the local businesses seemed to be making hay out of it so good luck to them. On the Sids Cafe Facebook page they have been inviting cyclists in for a cuppa and scone ( Not sure thats a good idea if you're in the middle of the race :16:)

You will have to barricade yourself in for the day Barmpot, my dad does the same when the cricket is on round the corner from him.

Good luck to you keep us posted and let us know if you need a food parcel :D

As I drove up this morning to a Chapter meeting (those in Anglican circles will know what that is) my route took me along some parts of the forthcoming cycling event to be held this week-end. The bunting in jersey shapes (rather than traditional triangular pennants) in red spots, yellow or green as well as the union flag adorn much of the town.:17: :17:

Apparently there are still some who are not aware that you will be unable to get a car from one side of Keighley to the other - I am totally cut off vehicle-wise from most of my friends who live the other side of the route. I could drive to York, up towards Ripon and then across to Grassington and down towards Colne and then through the lanes to get to the other side of Keighley in my car! Somehow I think not! :32: :32:

However are any others going to see it? As it passes within half a mile of where I live I might as well go and see the lycra clad individuals flash by.

And it goes through Holmfirth and up Holme Moss (which is featured in many cycling events) so what would our intrepid heroes have made of it?

What seems odd Rod is they will whiz through the town in no time at yet the I am told the area is closed for 10 hours,you will have to wear something distinct so we can spot you in the crowds,Terry

Well, for some hours before the peleton goes thru, there will be
tons of vehicles advertising stuff, giving away stuff, and
making a general nuisance of themselves. Then the breaks
go thru, then the main pack, then the stragglers, then all
the maintenance vehicles, rider support vehicles, medical
folks, and more advertising stuff (throwing candy atcha),
and finally the clean-up folks. Then it's gonna take some time
and space to get all the thousands of cars that were moved
out back where they belong. Twill be a longish day.

What seems odd Rod is they will whiz through the town in no time at yet the I am told the area is closed for 10 hours,you will have to wear something distinct so we can spot you in the crowds,Terry

Well I shall probably saunter over - just to say I have been; it is literally a half a mile away.

I shall wear my yellow blazer - without a Maplin badge (!) - and a hat and I should be near the roundabout as they enter the township of Keighley (end of Hard Ings Road - Terry knows where that is) just bore they o over the railway line and down Skipton Road. So if you see a bearded individual in yellow it could be me! Well I shall never qualify for a yellow jersey:confused::confused:

......... so what would our intrepid heroes have made of it?

Well Rod, I think the trio having to get to town to get a pint, I think they would have gotten their bikes and tried to fit in with the other cyclist to get to town!:13::46: Would have made a funny episode, Clegg, Foggy and Compo in their lycra, of course Compo probably would have had Nora's stockings, with his wellies on. :30: Foggy telling them to try to act like your a professional, they won't know that you are cutting in!!!! LOL :biggrin:

Or, like Howard did that one time when he put up signs for a phony bike race and everybody came.

From around Cheshire-Lancashire border, all the way north on the M6 yesterday there were signs warning of queues on 5th/6th July. I am not sure they meant on the M6 itself, (but as is so typical of our darling, so-called authorities they are incapable of making anything clear). There were strong recommendations to use the A66 to get to the East - that is a long way north. I think the preferred route to skirt round the problems at their southern boundary would be the A50.

On some overpass bridge I did see a couple of jerseys displayed. (No, not cows). And on one bridge around Wigan (well, it would be wouldn't it) in both directions there was a hand painted message, 'Up the Pies' which totally escaped me.

:35::35::35::35:

From around Cheshire-Lancashire border, all the way north on the M6 yesterday there were signs warning of queues on 5th/6th July. I am not sure they meant on the M6 itself, (but as is so typical of our darling, so-called authorities they are incapable of making anything clear). There were strong recommendations to use the A66 to get to the East - that is a long way north. I think the preferred route to skirt round the problems at their southern boundary would be the A50.

On some overpass bridge I did see a couple of jerseys displayed. (No, not cows). And on one bridge around Wigan (well, it would be wouldn't it) in both directions there was a hand painted message, 'Up the Pies' which totally escaped me.

Up the pies? Must be a Lancashire thing!! Law unto themselves! :tux: :42:

Well I am walking on Saturday to my wife's care home (mile away) and to view on Sunday I shall walk - apparently this is what hey are suggesting. Vehicle movements severely restricted - some people will have no choice - their road is shut from ~ 6 am to ~ 6 pm, at least I can get somewhere - like Bradford! :42: :42: :42:

Well I am walking on Saturday to my wife's care home (mile away) and to view on Sunday I shall walk - apparently this is what hey are suggesting. Vehicle movements severely restricted - some people will have no choice - their road is shut from ~ 6 am to ~ 6 pm, at least I can get somewhere - like Bradford! :42: :42: :42:

You will as fit as a butchers dog by Monday Barmpot :D

I think our three chaps would have laughed at all the kerfuffle for a li' bit of exercise and gone for a pint.

Well we have thunder and lightning forecast for Sunday according to my mobile but just heavy showers from the BBC - either way not the best weather for viewing a spectacular event, I may have to wear a mac over my yellow blazer!

However I shall trundle along and see what is happening on Sunday.

Back