The Good old Days !

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Reaction score
Just watched an old episode of the Good Old Days that BBC4 kindly showed as part of their tribute to the Music Hall days . I'd forgotten how good the show was lead by the incomparable Leonard Sachs . The show had the wonderful "Dragon" that was Peggy Mount and the great Les Dawson who was expounding at length about his wife and Mother in Law , maybe not PC in current days but given the show was from 1976 it was probably deemed suitable for the time [one of his best lines from the show was when he first met his wife they went out for Dinner at a new French restaurant in Huddersfield Chez by gum!] .

I know we have the somewhat inferior Britain's Got Talent but there is definitely room for this type of show . In Newcastle we had 3 variety theatres at peak all have gone but for Balmbra's Music Hall which is still there but was fire damaged . Some work started earlier in the year to restore it not been down lately to see if its progressed . The place is immortalised in Geordie folk legend as part of the Blaydon Races song .

Totally agree. Forget the PC do gooders they were entertaining variety shows with talented performers. Something that today`s so called entertainers are not. I would never miss a showing of "The Good Old Days". Sorry I missed that one I will catch it on iplayer.

Agree I loved it always amazed me how Leonard Sachs managed to get all those long words out without tying himself in knots. Just to change the subject, I happened to hear that marvelous "duet" with Joyce Grenfell and Norman Wisdom, when after a few notes they start to laugh and sing at the same time, wonderful stuff, maybe I'm just getting old but that gentle almost childlike humor of those days seems so much better than some, but in fairness not all of today's. Bother??? I've gone all maudlin again with my rose tinted spectacles getting all steamed up!!::)::)

Agree I loved it always amazed me how Leonard Sachs managed to get all those long words out without tying himself in knots. Just to change the subject, I happened to hear that marvelous "duet" with Joyce Grenfell and Norman Wisdom, when after a few notes they start to laugh and sing at the same time, wonderful stuff, maybe I'm just getting old but that gentle almost childlike humor of those days seems so much better than some, but in fairness not all of today's. Bother??? I've gone all maudlin again with my rose tinted spectacles getting all steamed up!!::)::)

I have that record on a compilation CD with others from the same era. It's nice to break it out and play once in a while. Only trouble is if any one else comes in it's ""what's this rubbish??"" Then I have to use your argument about gentle humour.I am afraid the current in your face humour tickles their collective funny bone more! ???

The Good Old Days!

For those interested in Music Hall BBC4 is showing a series about the History of Music Hall , the first was on last Thursday its called What a Performance the history of Music Hall on at 21:00 tomorrow and 17/12 . The first part featured Marie LLoyd and Dan Leno but also has details of how Music Hall started out with penny theatres and supper clubs , it is available on BBC IPlayer.

Back
Top Bottom