The End #29

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
This may be a little harder

TE29.jpg

Gosh , I thought the end scene in Set The People Free was of the boys walking thru town, commenting on how insensitive Nora was. . .isn't it the town and the traffic?

I think you've mixed it up with "White Mans Grave" Ellen. That's the one where Cleggy stands in for Wally for a while ,they bring him back in an old pram which falls down the steps. Its then that they wander back through the town grumbling. :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes yes. I stand corrected ( well, I am sitting . . but) tysvm :)

Should the "tysvm" bit read "tyvm" which after extensive research I understand is slang for "thank you very much"?

or thank you so very much

Many thanks for that. I just wish our yea could be yea and our nay be nay.

Ohhh, now you have my interest . . how is it that you mean? I am fascinated by 'English speak' if you will. Maybe we should have a separate thread . . sorry if I ask where I shouldn't. Yea ~ really wouldn't be seen much here in the States . . we would write yeah . . and I always took nay to mean no.

Ohhh, now you have my interest . . how is it that you mean? I am fascinated by 'English speak' if you will. Maybe we should have a separate thread . . sorry if I ask where I shouldn't. Yea ~ really wouldn't be seen much here in the States . . we would write yeah . . and I always took nay to mean no.

To be honest, I was quoting biblically and somewhat out of context. See King James Version of James 5:12:

12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

And yes, "yea" is old english for "yes" and nay for "no".

Being facetious - I have an aversion to slang of most varieties or cryptic anagrams.

ok . . . now is it called King James version because of that kafuffle regarding Henry the 8th, Elizabeth, Scotland, etc . . . non-papist?

ok . . . now is it called King James version because of that kafuffle regarding Henry the 8th, Elizabeth, Scotland, etc . . . non-papist?

I would suggest a far simpler explanation - it was commissioned under King James First (of England), Sixth (of Scotland) and duly authorised by him - hence the alternative title, The Authorised Version. Interestingly, the original concept originated in Scotland:

"In May 1601, King James VI of Scotland attended the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland at St Columba's Church in Burntisland, Fife, at which proposals were put forward for a new translation of the Bible into English. Two years later, he ascended to the throne of England as King James I of England."

Burntisland is just down the road from me. St Columba's is still there.

Having succeeded Elizabeth in England:

"In January 1604, King James I of England convened the Hampton Court Conference where a new English version was conceived in response to the perceived problems of the earlier translations as detected by the Puritans, a faction within the Church of England."

Full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Back