Summer Winos

Please excuse my setting up another thread to plug my blog, but I didn't wish to clutter up the "Introduce Yourself" forum any further.

We've got something very exciting coming up next week, but for now I thought you might like to know that regular updates have resumed for the foreseeable future. The latest can be seen at http://www.summerwinos.co.uk and if anybody would like to catch up a full list can be found https://ftgetgo.wordpress.com/progress.

As one who signed up for email alerts - glad to see resumption. As not on Facebook can not follow via that means but definitely would be 'like' if I did!

Just tried to watch and all I got was a

SORRY

There was an error encountered while trying to load this video

but I know the line well. I live close enough to hear the steam locomotives hard at work out of Keighley Station.

In the first of several quite special posts to come, we've gone and done a video. Check out the site to see our quest to track down the train from "Full Steam Behind".

http://ftgetgo.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/full-steam-ahead-for-full-steam-behind/

Slightly amateurish! I wish folk would differentiate correctly between an engine (the source of power) and a train (usually an engine and its load - either coaches or freight wagons). So repeated reference to the subject engine as a train is irritating. A bit more research would have been appropriate. Several times it was stated that the engine had been given a brand new number. Not true. The number 5775 was its original number as a Class 5700 0-6-0PT on the GWR and later, BR Western Region. The number L89 in "Full Steam Behind" was the LATER number acquired when the engine was transferred to London Transport. In many ways 5775 is more authentic. This engine also featured in "The Railway Children" of course.

Slightly amateurish!

We claim to be nothing more.

This engine also featured in "The Railway Children" of course.

577325_10151291725589714_1886943813_n.jpg

A really wonderful video. Thanks so much for that.

We have ridden the K&WVRR and done the Railway
Children walk between Oxenhope and Oakworth
several times. A lovely place to be.

Video worked from your link but not the website: never mind got there in the end.

What is interesting is that L89 worked on the Underground after steam finished on the mainline - they were never used for passenger duties but shunting and departmental uses. However if you were on the District or Metropolitan lines late at night then occasionally one could be seen coming through. They would not be seen on the other lines as the tunnels are smaller, but the District and metropolitan were originally steam hauled.

In the Railway Children it had a fictional brown livery is I recall correctly.

In the Railway Children it had a fictional brown livery is I recall correctly.

Quite right. From Wikipedia:

"They carried fictional liveries for the filming, 5775 carrying brown, reminiscent of the Stroudley livery of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway, 957 carrying apple green, similar to liveries used by the North Eastern, Great Northern and London and North Eastern Railways, and 4744 and MSC67 carrying plain black, as used by most railway companies in Britain at one time or another. "

I was more offended at being called slightly amateurish. The cheek! I've spent years building up to this level of amateurism.

I'm the other idiot in the film. Hello! I did realise that the 5775 had originally been called that before being rebranded as the L89 (it's on the Wikipedia entry that us to Oxenhope in the first place) but, y'know... decided not to delve too deeply into that history for what's essentially a daft little video of me and buggerlugs messing about. I don't think there's anything in the film that contradicts that, though.

I have, however, been asked on Facebook whether the beer being served on the train was from Elland Breweries or Kirkstall Breweries. I sent Drew to the bar, so I've no idea. And he won't remember either. Anyone know?

This is a question for Bob and Andrew. I have peeked at your various sites and Summer Wine ventures, but my demanding work schedule and kids keep me from doing much more than this website (which serves as a mental oasis!).

The bits and pieces that I have seen in your work focus on Summer Wine's earlier years (Blamire and early Foggy). I am just curious, where do you stand on the mid and later years- Seymour, Foggy's return, Truly, and Hobbo?

Just curious.

We both have different experiences with the show. I grew up with Foggy's second run on the show and so have a fondness for those '90s episodes, whereas Bob has never seen them. He's a good few years older than me and got into the show in the late 70s and early 80s. There are bits of the last ten years of Summer Wine that I liked, but I don't feel the show was ever quite as good as it was during the Small Funeral trilogy. Those episodes, along with Getting Same Home, represent perfection to me.

We're just figuring out our opinions as we go along, really, and as this is a strictly chronological venture you might be waiting a while for a proper answer ;D

We both have different experiences with the show. I grew up with Foggy's second run on the show and so have a fondness for those '90s episodes, whereas Bob has never seen them. He's a good few years older than me and got into the show in the late 70s and early 80s. There are bits of the last ten years of Summer Wine that I liked, but I don't feel the show was ever quite as good as it was during the Small Funeral trilogy. Those episodes, along with Getting Same Home, represent perfection to me.

We're just figuring out our opinions as we go along, really, and as this is a strictly chronological venture you might be waiting a while for a proper answer ;D

Wow! That may have been a record in the fastest response ever. I am similar in ways that my view of Summer Wine changes as I watch it more. This is currently my second full time around watching it from beginning to end. The show's duration is perfect for one to always watch from beginning to end and never feel they see the episodes too many times.

I started on the Truly years and still have a preference towards that time (especially before Edie, Smiler, and Wesley leave us). I didn't always like the Blamire or Hobbo years but second and third times arounds got me to change. I didn't always get why folks were crazy about Wally, but after the latest time viewing his episodes, I totally get it now! Other recent observations I have noticed are the differences between Seymour's earlier and later years. I absolutely LOVE Seymour's earlier years (hence my name).

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I was born in 1972, so was too young to have seen the earliest years first time around, but became a regular viewer from around 1981. It was a big family favourite in my house.

I started to drift away from it in the late 1980s as traditional teenage exploits took hold of me, and never really came back. I didn't watch a lot of TV at all in the 1990s, really. Although I remember catching a couple of the later Foggy episodes and enjoying them.

So yeah - working my way through the 1980s episodes has been a lovely exercise in nostalgia, and I'm now interested to see how I cope with the more unfamiliar territory ahead.

I've definitely got a lot more from the show as I've grown older, though. The longing for the past, and the dwelling on mortality and the passing of friends naturally means far more to me at the age of 40 than it did when I was a kid.

In the Railway Children film the gaurd Mr Mitchel was an actual member of the K&WVRLY and went on to become chairman,went to the line in the seventies and had a ride in the old gents carriage.

In the Railway Children film the gaurd Mr Mitchel was an actual member of the K&WVRLY and went on to become chairman,went to the line in the seventies and had a ride in the old gents carriage.

Mr Mitchell now spends his time with the Keighley Bus Museum, often to be seen driving a bus around, especially the open top one for tourists. He does not seem to be involved in the KWVR these days.

Back