Summer Wine Vehicles

Bora Natty

Dedicated Member
While watching the show, I have noticed so many vehicles smoke like they've been converted to wood burning. Is that done for show purposes, or are they just clapped-out?

I'd say this was probably done for comedic effect, just like Onslows Cortina that always backfires and smokes if you've watched KUA before?

I'm reliably informed that the crew rigged the engine of the 1947, Bedford OB, Duple Vista used in “How not to Cry at Weddings” to make it smoke.
In a documentary about “Only Fools and Horses”, David Jason said that in the chandelier episode “A Touch of Glass” they had a device to inject oil in to the engine of the Regal van when they wanted smoke. In sitcom-land, all old vehicles backfire and smoke!

Ta guys, I kind of figured that was the case. I was watching a Christmas episode today on Drama and they had an old blue van That was smoking and that gave me the idea. It looked clapped-out. I had never seen the Christmas episodes over here and I never did see the episode title. It was when Milburn picked up a donkey and carried it to the van. I laughed so hard!

The Christmas episode was 'A Big Day at Dream Acres'. The Tramp Ray McAnally was simply amazing and ever so smooth. You are right Bora Natty, we never got Christmas episodes over here, at least not on PBS; although I did recently see a Christmas Episode of 'Upstart Crow' on Rhode Island PBS (WSBE). Thanks to PBS for introducing British humor to us in the US.

Just my opinion here, but I can't imagine that that the Producer would have rigged the bus in 'How not to Cry at Weddings' with anything capable of combustion or explosion. with the precious aging talent pool contained in that bus. I suggest that a smoke generator of the type used on stage in live dance performances may have been hung under the bus. I also noticed that the smoke billowing from under the big chariot driven by Wesley in 'Uncle of the Bride' had a steamy component to it, Hmmmmm. My big bang theory is that the big bangs were added in the editing room, after the fact.

Speaking of cars, what happened to the second Triumph Herald?

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! May God Bless!

Back