Summer Wine in other countries?

I think we all have to suffer the cliches in other countries. I once heard of a German boy participating in a student exchange, when he arrived in the USA, he was greeted by cheerful people waving a Nazi flag and thinking we still had all that and they would give him a pleasant welcome. Needless to say the boy was very bewildered. And we are not all Bavarians in leather trousers either, we don´t all like beer and Sauerkraut (yuk to both!)
Cliches are powerful things, I guess we have to get used to the fact that many people will never drop them and bother to find out about reality.
I agree folks get those ideas.Quite a shame on the Nazi flag thing, that is terrible, Gosh I didn't think folks here were like that,Ughh.
In Georgia,USA there is a Bavarian style town called Helen. You can check it out on the net if you want, but we have gone there a few times and my kids always say that they would not want to live in Bavaria because they wouldn't want to have to dress like that :)

Nobody wants to dress like that, not even in Bavaria :D. Another cliche. You wouldn´t even know you were in Bavaria, only very few people walk around like that every day, probably only in some of the little villages. I think 99,9% of all Germans would never dream of wearing such stuff, it is as if we would say "I don´t want to live in the USA, I don´t want to dress like a cowboy." That´s why I don´t like it when other parts of the world are being imitated somewhere else. I find it incredibly tacky and also untrue. A bit ridiculous. But on the other hand I can understand people´s desire to get to know their roots, it´s just that they shouldn´t mix up this sort of "Disneyland" with reality.
Exactly,I couldn't have put it better!

We get repeats of the last 3 or 4 series often on a channel called UKTV in NZ.

I would wish they'd start from the very start. ATM until a few days ago, It was Summer Wine at 6pm and Keeping Up Appearances at 6.30.

I live in Ohio, and recently took my first trip into what is called the mid-South and Deep South of the US. Many southerners found my accent funny and did call me a Yank, but in fun. I don't love that the world thinks we all wear Cowboy Hats and Boots all the time. Also the "fat" jokes used recently in foreign shows really get old. I love Top Gear, but there isn't much difference in a food gut or a beer belly.

I live in Ohio, and recently took my first trip into what is called the mid-South and Deep South of the US. Many southerners found my accent funny and did call me a Yank, but in fun. I don't love that the world thinks we all wear Cowboy Hats and Boots all the time. Also the "fat" jokes used recently in foreign shows really get old. I love Top Gear, but there isn't much difference in a food gut or a beer belly.
I agree with the fat jokes , Clarkson has a bit of pot belly on him :)
No cowboy hats on my head for sure. However, my dad had one, with a big peacock looking feather in the front of it, it was the 70's though :). Where abouts in Ohio? We used to go camping in Columbus all the time. We had friends who drove for Roadway truck lines and they were based out of there. Also went to the football hall of fame, can't remember exactly where that was.
My brother used to live in Nelsonville.Nice state. Lots of farms if I recall corrrectly. We owned a cattle farm in PA.

I agree with the fat jokes , Clarkson has a bit of pot belly on him :)
No cowboy hats on my head for sure. However, my dad had one, with a big peacock looking feather in the front of it, it was the 70's though :). Where abouts in Ohio? We used to go camping in Columbus all the time. We had friends who drove for Roadway truck lines and they were based out of there. Also went to the football hall of fame, can't remember exactly where that was.
My brother used to live in Nelsonville.Nice state. Lots of farms if I recall corrrectly. We owned a cattle farm in PA.

I live in Ashland, Ohio, right in between Cleveland and Columbus, although I go to Columbus much more, as my brother lives there. I lived in Columbus for about 7 years, but moved back to where my family lives. :) Yes, lots of agriculture and farming in Ohio!

I stand corrected, "Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is a Seymour episode and he is about to make his introduction sometime next week. I will keep a look out for this episode.

Its a very funny episode, they talk alot about "Yanks". What I would like to know is how do you feel about being called a "Yank"? And do you still call us Brits "Limies"? Its just a friendly question, I find interresting how other countrys see us and how you feel about how we see you. :)

If I were to visit Holmfirth and someone asked if I were a Yank, I would feel complemented. And I don't think I would call anyone a Limie to their face, but I know what it means. Anyway, to me it what you would call a British seafarer being that that's the origion of the term.

I'm from Virginia and I don't mind being called a Yank. And I thought that it was a well known fact that Brits are called Limeys. And just for the record, I have truly great fondness for Yorkshire. And I (and many others) don't think that the distance is all that great. And yes, it could be a hard pill to swallow for a Texan to be called a Yank.

Interesting - in my travels in the USA I have always kept away from using the term Yank. I did think Virginia particularly sensitive to the term, being very much part of the Confederacy. It is only on looking into this have I realised Texas was Confederate also - I thought it one somewhat neutral.

The term Limey is now very dated. Most folk I dealt with use the term Brit. I must confess to struggling over the word American for citizens of the USA. In a sense Canadians and Chilians are just as much Americans. Mind, it would now be impossible to use anything else.

Dear Big Unc,

Virginia is a very interesting state as it has two identities. Northern Virginia, a suburb of the Washington, DC, traditionally has always had a northern (Yankee) focus. The rest of Virginia is solidly southern in accent and focus. As a note, Richmond, a mere two hours from DC, was the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Dear Big Unc,

Virginia is a very interesting state as it has two identities. Northern Virginia, a suburb of the Washington, DC, traditionally has always had a northern (Yankee) focus. The rest of Virginia is solidly southern in accent and focus. As a note, Richmond, a mere two hours from DC, was the capital of the Confederacy during the Civil War.

Thanks for that - most interesting. I was aware that Virginia was a very divided state and much of what became West Virginia voted not to join the Confederacy.

I do know the north of Virginia first hand, visited it on business many times and there was precious little difference between the suburbs in Virginia to the south of Washington DC and those to the north in Maryland.that in modern times

If I were to visit Holmfirth and someone asked if I were a Yank, I would feel complemented.

We have been going from the US to Holmfirth since the
early 1990's and have mostly said we were Canadian!

This was true especially in the Bush years when we
were frankly embarrassed.

Since Obama we have been a bit more forthcoming and
now admit that we are American.

Dear Big Unc,

Thanks for that - most interesting. I was aware that Virginia was a very divided state and much of what became West Virginia voted not to join the Confederacy.

I do know the north of Virginia first hand, visited it on business many times and there was precious little difference between the suburbs in Virginia to the south of Washington DC and those to the north in Maryland.that in modern times

The Northern Tip of Virgina are the DC suburbs (and I am on the other side in Maryland). the western part of Virgina are the mountains. Central and Southern Central Virginia are low lying areas with a lot of rich Civil War history. In that southern region is a lot of farmlands growing peanuts, etc. Then there is the coastal part of Virgina along with Hampton Roads, the combination of medium sized cities along with military bases.

Overall, I believe Virginia is geographically the single most diverse state.

Back