Strange Browser Behaviour ???

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Several of us have run into this lately.

When my wife uses Seamonkey (ex Netscape) to look at
the webcam at http://www.virtualhuddersfield.com/h-cam.htm,
her browser seems to change the URL to something very like
http://www.virtualhuddersfields.com/mainframe1/h-cam.htm
or some such, ending up nowhere useful.

When she uses Internet Explorer or Firefox and goes to
http://www.virtualhuddersfield.com/h-cam.htm, she gets to
the webcam no problems.

On the two machines in my office, just next door, I can go to
http://www.virtualhuddersfield.com/h-cam.htm and get to
the web cam no sweat.

Now howcum using Seamonkey, the extra stuff gets added to
the selected URL???

anybody help???

chuck

Web cam problem timeline, as I experienced it

As many of you know, I have no answer, but my browser behavior is different from Chuck's. My ISP is different from his, too - I use Time Warner Road Runner.

I can access the Holmfirth web cam via Chrome, but not via either IE or Firefox (my default browser). This problem began for me yesterday afternoon, following a hacker's attack on at least that part of the Virtual Huddersfield web site, that I first noticed at about 8:20 EDT yesterday morning.

After someone at Virtual Huddersfield took down the hacker's ugly neo-Nazi hate speech sometime before noon, the web cam site was unavailable, and my browser was redirecting me to an error message. At that point, I could no longer access Beattie's web site or Virtual Huddersfield, either, on either Firefox or IE. I closed and relaunched each browser. When that had no effect, I shut down and restarted the computer, but it made no difference to either browser. In desperation, I briefly took my firewall down. When that made no difference to either browser, I quickly reinstated the firewall.

Firefox's error message was telling me that it couldn't access 'http://www.virtualhuddersfields.com/mainframe1.htm/h-cam.htm'. Of course not! It was changing the URL that I had entered. IE's error message at least got the URL correct, but still wouldn't go to the web site.

This morning, after Chuck reported that some of the browsers in his house would access it and some wouldn't, I downloaded Chrome and tried it, and it worked normally. Firefox and IE still have exactly the same problems with the URL that they've had since noonish yesterday.

Do any of the internet experts out there have any insight to offer?

Marianna

I'm not a computer expert, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser you want to use.

If you were on the web cam when it was compromised, could it have sent info back to your browser to confuse it? The way a site sends cookies to your computer?

I'm not a computer expert, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser you want to use.

If you were on the web cam when it was compromised, could it have sent info back to your browser to confuse it? The way a site sends cookies to your computer?

I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and I'd hate to do so because I'd have to reconstruct my customizations. Anyway, I had to download and install IE to try it, and that browser didn't work, either.

My browser was closed when the web cam was hacked, so I doubt that the hacker compromised it. Thank goodness, Firefox still works for all my other usual sites.

Marianna

I suppose it is worth clearing the cookies and other data from the browser,something could still be lurking there which would add a redirection

I am on Safari - the Mac product as I use an Apple - which seems OK. Chrome was what I used on the old PC and Firefox and before that IE. I found that I had to keep Firefox as a back-up in case something disagreed with Chrome!

Thinking about it - these computers are quite fussy,.

Had an e mail today from an organisation which gave us six pages of notes to ensure we get e mails, as they are considered spam by the servers and we (the recipient) has to do things to get the e mails!

Actually if they are binned by the server I shall never know, so never have to worry!

But I do get the feeling that the machines do not make life easier for us. I have to print out pages of stuff to follow as I need it in front of me when typing away. And of course, why is it that what I see on the screen is never quite the same as what they put on the guide? Just because I have outmoded software or such like!!!

Terry's a genius!

I suppose it is worth clearing the cookies and other data from the browser,something could still be lurking there which would add a redirection

Thank you, that worked.

I dislike having to clear my cookies so much that I was willing to try everything else first. I have so many web sites set to remember my user name that it's a major nuisance to have to start all over again.

Marianna

Thank you, that worked.

I dislike having to clear my cookies so much that I was willing to try everything else first. I have so many web sites set to remember my user name that it's a major nuisance to have to start all over again.

Marianna

On some browsers you can clear the data but keep the passwords

On some browsers you can clear the data but keep the passwords

I don't see that option in Firefox. The only obvious work-around seems to be to look through the entire list of sites under Remove All Cookies and check anything that doesn't look like a password. BTW, there wasn't a listing that seemed to have anything to do with Virtual Huddersfield or any of it's web cams, but deleting all cookies restored my access to normal. One of life's little mysteries!

Marianna

Back