Stage 1 Complete now for stage 2

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Stage 1 was getting rid of BT including the landline,all my internet and telephone calls come and go via wireless via a small dish,I am fortunate to live in a area where this service is available,I average 24 meg download speed compared to BT's 7meg and the upload has been 9meg compared to 0.4meg,not only that I am saving around £7.00 a month and that is before the next round of BT's price increases due soon and the my new package includes the cost of 24/7 telephone calls.
If you are stuck with BT see my separate post on how you could save a few pounds

Stage 2 will be to dump the TV licence,it is not worth the £145 per year for the drivel the BBC now show,and if there is something that you feel you must see then it can be view legally on catch up TV via iplayer the next day,I was surprised how many people have now ditched the TV licence,I suspect the change in rules have helped make this easier

dump the TV licence,it is not worth the £145 per year for the drivel the BBC now show,and if there is something that you feel you must see then it can be view legally on catch up TV via iplayer the next day,I was surprised how many people have now ditched the TV licence,I suspect the change in rules have helped make this easier
Exactly what I did about a year ago. Thank God for catchup TV :)

Exactly what I did about a year ago. Thank God for catchup TV :)

For us in the states, what is catchup TV? We have Divo here where you can record and skip thru commercials and watch shows at a later time. I do not watch enough to have it. Is this what it is?

For us in the states, what is catchup TV? We have Divo here where you can record and skip thru commercials and watch shows at a later time. I do not watch enough to have it. Is this what it is?
Yes :D Well almost. The catchup channels don't allow recording, but you can download programmes for later viewing, though they normally have a time limit embedded of a set number of days.

Last edited:
Put me right on this please, I thought the TV Licence was mandatory if you had a tv capable of receiving signals???
I believe that is the case, but I haven't had a TV in my home for many years, only computer monitors (capable of HD replay/display).

Put me right on this please, I thought the TV Licence was mandatory if you had a tv capable of receiving signals???

The rules have changed Dick,you can have your TV's and dishes,you need to fill in a disclaimer that you do not watch live TV via the TV

Thanks Terry, something to think about!! :cool:

Agree as I probably watch hardly any live TV at all. TVs are effectively means of watching DVDs or VHS (still have some) and not current stuff.

Must look into this - but unlike Terry I have a problem of reception as I live in the shadow of Ilkley Moor and can often struggle to get mobile signals inside the house etc. which is why went to cable many year ago. However worth a look.

Agree as I probably watch hardly any live TV at all.

Likewise!! We do watch the 5 o'clock news on live TV. But else we
watch the bazillion UK TV shows I have downloaded, and am still
downloading.

We still really like Heartbeat and The Royal, and am now downloading
No Honestly (which I have not seen in years). Have ALL the old
HIGNFY, In Loving Memory, Poirot, Call the Midwife, Banks,
New Tricks, George Gently, MASH, Father Ted, Lynley, Father
Brown, and many more. Probably have too many to watch
in my lifetime now.

But better this than what's on now.

The rules have changed Dick,you can have your TV's and dishes,you need to fill in a disclaimer that you do not watch live TV via the TV

Some one has noticed this Terry and they don't like it! There are apparently moves afoot to remove this loophole :mad: I think I saw this in the sunday papers?
(They are now unfortunately on the re-cycling wagon!)

Last edited:
Back