Spiders

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Having just hung a line full of washing out and been covered in spiders , I have to ask if anyone else is plagued by them ??There seem to be dozens hanging from the fence, the clothes line and every available plant and bush!! I just wish they would be useful and start on the slugs and snails instead of trying to get in my house by any means. :13: :30:

Spiders are good - for removing flies which spread disease.

I always have a few sitting in my dungeon.

Actually I recall that I had one in my wash basin on my return from a few days away. All mine seem to be the extra long, extra thick legged variety!

Here in North Carolina we get both the black widow and the
brown recluse. I have seen both up close.

But the scariest was when wife and I were out in the canoe
on a lake when a black widow appeared out of the bow. Wife
scooped it up on her paddle and delivered it over the side.

Wasn't till it was belly up on the paddle that we saw the
hourglass and realized what it was.

Here in North Carolina we get both the black widow and the
brown recluse. I have seen both up close.

But the scariest was when wife and I were out in the canoe
on a lake when a black widow appeared out of the bow. Wife
scooped it up on her paddle and delivered it over the side.

Wasn't till it was belly up on the paddle that we saw the
hourglass and realized what it was.
We'll let you keep those on your side of the pond Chuck. All the same to you we'll stick with our garden spiders . Although the way things are going.............::)

We'll let you keep those on your side of the pond Chuck. All the same to you we'll stick with our garden spiders . Although the way things are going.............::)

Agree - mine are harmless. Not so keen on transatlantic ones!

Sounds like everyone has them over there, is it soon to be change of season? Concerned about them being all over the clothes outside. Infestation? I could see one getting on the clothes. You must have a nest close by that needs to be fumigated Dick. I would hate to bring them in off of the sheets.

Brown recluse and black widows here also Chuck. Getting ready for them to come into the house as fall approaches!:unhappy:

Always like a few spiders around the house, they do help to keep those pesky flying things down.
Went out of my way to portray spiders in the best light possible to my Daughter, backfired though, she had posters and photos of spiders all over her room, scared the pants off her Mother :)

p.s. she is now a vet!

;D I'd sooner have my spiders than the scorpions you are supposed to have in places down there!! :me: :me:

I always hate to reach into my pantry as I'm always concerned about encountering a spider. I've never heard of someone having a bunch of spiders. Is this a seasonal thing? Related to global warming?

Ah the sheer luxury of being able to actually hang washing out. On this side of the pond, hanging washing out is almost a thing of the past.

On this side of the pond, hanging washing out is almost a thing of the past.

Yup, that's true here in Durham NC as well. There are getting
to be more and more neighborhoods where that is a violation.
Clothes lines are against the rules!!

But we still hang out the wash on nice Mondays. On foul
Mondays we do use the dryer, but we prefer hanging it all out.

Yup, that's true here in Durham NC as well. There are getting
to be more and more neighborhoods where that is a violation.
Clothes lines are against the rules!!

But we still hang out the wash on nice Mondays. On foul
Mondays we do use the dryer, but we prefer hanging it all out.

There are still a few streets where the washing has to hang across the street - no gardens or yards at the back of the houses (they are back-to-back). Less common than once was but can be seen around a few parts of keighley and elsewhere.

No, I mean that in many neighborhoods over here you cannot
hang the wash out in your own backyard. Not anywhere.
Must be dried indoors, in a dryer.

(Not sure there's anywhere over here where you could
hang it over the street as is often seen in Call the
Midwife TV show.)

In subdivisions, they have all sorts of rules and regulations. Some down here you cannot have a flag pole in yard with the American Flag. How unAmerican can you get. I could see where they wouldn't allow clothes lines. A good reason to live out of the city limits.

I always hate to reach into my pantry as I'm always concerned about encountering a spider. I've never heard of someone having a bunch of spiders. Is this a seasonal thing? Related to global warming?

Certainly seasonal as I remember it but there just seems to be more of them this year!!:confused:

Back