Seymour's Design for a garage, or maybe Wesley's ?

and7barton

Dedicated Member
Has anybody besides me spotted the block of garages in Holmfirth that could only have been designed by Seymour or Wesley ? - It's a block of four or five garages with up-and-over doors, with another block of identical garages ON TOP of them. No ramp or any way of driving a car into the upper storey of garages, unless your car can levitate.

Have not been in a year or so but it sounds a typical Seymour invention. Park more cars on the one piece of ground. :12: :35:

Have not been in a year or so but it sounds a typical Seymour invention. Park more cars on the one piece of ground. :12: :35:

I spotted it a few years ago - From the decrepit look of it, it's been there for years.
It's in the yard of Birks funeral Directors, on the Woodhead Road on the LH side, a good way before the turn-off for Ivy's cottage (Co-op Lane, Dobbs Lane and Spring Lane), just a minute out of the town.
Before Birks took over, I think it was an engineering company. I think they used the building for some hazardous activity like electroplating or something and I think maybe they opened those top doors to let toxic fumes out.
Maybe it was a paint-spraying shop ?

Has anybody besides me spotted the block of garages in Holmfirth that could only have been designed by Seymour or Wesley ? - It's a block of four or five garages with up-and-over doors, with another block of identical garages ON TOP of them. No ramp or any way of driving a car into the upper storey of garages, unless your car can levitate.

I was curious, so I looked for your garages on Google. It is very interesting indeed!Odd Structure.jpg

Thanks for the picture. This is really intriguing. It doesn't appear to have a floor to the upper level, or a ceiling to the ground level. If that's the case than the upper level doors must be for ventilation. Would be nice if someone in the area could check it out.

Back