Series Numbering Query

joppyuk1

Dedicated Member
I've just been going through my DVD sets to see which I still need and have noticed an inconsistency with series numbering compared to Alan Bell's listings in his book.
According to the book/DVD labelling, series 9 comes as series 9/10, series 10 comes as 11, 11 as 12, and so forth up to series 25 being labelled as series 26. That's as far as I've got. There don't appear to be any episodes missing, though I have a few gaps to fill.
Has anyone else noticed this? Will it affect the eventual completion of the collection?

I've just been going through my DVD sets to see which I still need and have noticed an inconsistency with series numbering compared to Alan Bell's listings in his book. According to the book/DVD labelling, series 9 comes as series 9/10, series 10 comes as 11, 11 as 12, and so forth up to series 25 being labelled as series 26. That's as far as I've got. There don't appear to be any episodes missing, though I have a few gaps to fill. Has anyone else noticed this? Will it affect the eventual completion of the collection?

There was an error in series numbering on the DVD sets issued in the UK. The publisher of the sets has never made an adjustment to a set title to correct the error, and it appears that they plan to perpetuate that error right up to the end of the series. The numbering went wrong with the Series 9 set. It's labeled '9 & 10', but it contains only series 9 plus the Christmas specials from '85, '86 and '87. So from that set on, the numbering of the sets is off by 1 relative to the actual series numbers. So, for example, the most recently issued set is titled 'Series 25 & 26', but as you observed, it contains 24 and 25.

The numbering error shouldn't affect the completion of the collection. Actual series 26-31 are yet to be issued on DVD. Unless the publisher corrects the numbering, which seems unlikely at this late date, the sets will be numbered '27 & 28' (containing actual 26 and 27). '29 & 30' (containing 28 and 29), '31 & 32' (containing 30 and 31). Personally, I don't care how they number the sets as long as they pick up the pace with which they issue them!

Marianna

Thank you for the lucid explanation. I'll bear that in mind when ordering. Like you, and everybody else, I wish the distributors would get on and issue the rest of the set, especially as the programmes don't seem to appear on the various repeats.
ij

My understanding, though I could be wrong, is that the mislabeling was a result of the length of the Series 9 and the decision to release it as two distinct parts instead of one in the US, where we get each series as a separate release rather then as a set of two. They've avoided the number issue now by simply calling each series "Vintage XXXX" where the XXXX is the year the series aired originally.

My understanding, though I could be wrong, is that the mislabeling was a result of the length of the Series 9 and the decision to release it as two distinct parts instead of one in the US, where we get each series as a separate release rather then as a set of two. They've avoided the number issue now by simply calling each series "Vintage XXXX" where the XXXX is the year the series aired originally.

The company that releases the US discs got around the length of the 1995 series by releasing the first nine episodes under the title 'Vintage 1995 Reserve' and the remainder of the episodes under the title ''Vintage 1995'. The 'Vintage yyyy' pattern is a much better naming method than the one used on the UK discs.

Series 9, where the UK numbering went wrong, consisted of twelve episodes all aired in 1987, so I can only attribute the 'Series 9 & 10' title to carelessness. If the person writing the title had been at all familiar with the show, the title would have been 'Series 9'. Then when the following seasons returned to the six or seven episodes each, so two seasons would fit on a DVD set, the 'Series n & n' pattern could have been resumed and the numbering would have been correct.

Marianna

Yes this anomaly is annoying but, as surmised, it is now unlikely anything will be done. Series 9 was a longer series than usual, but by no means unique.

The early days of video releases was not always in complete series (a VHS tape might have about four maximum episodes) but a hotch potch of episodes. The only episode missing from the current series of DVDAs is, of course, the pilot which has never been released on VHS or DVD. It is also rarely repeated on various repeat TV stations.

This was always a real bête noire for me!

Most of what has been written on this thread is correct but I am not sure it is comprehensive.

One point must be made absolutely clear! This was not a mistake by those who brought out the so-called Series 9 & 10 DVD. It was malice aforethought!!!!!

All came about very much as a result of Seymour's coming on the scene. Now I cannot remember all the details. It is almost seven years since the DVD came out. Nor can I find all the websites I was tracking at the time. But the essential point was that Series #9 was originally commissioned by the BBC as a six episode series for production either in 1985 or 1986. But along came Seymour and they wanted a big launch to introduce this new man into what at that time was a recognised by BBC as a big success for them. So what they did was produce a big film episode, 'Uncle of the Bride' which went out early 1986. They then spent 1986 filming the six episode Series #9 plus a newly commissioned further six episodes which the BBC considered another series, Series #10. In addition, there was, of course the 1986 Christmas Special, 'Merry Christmas, Father Christmas'. And that all went out as a single package at Christmas 1986 and early 1987.

That really covers the weasel words (or do I mean ferret words) I received from either BBC or Universal when I complained at the time. BBC considered there to be two series because that is how they commissioned the twelve episodes.

I can no longer find a very useful website by BBC Worldwide marketing which showed what was available for overseas broadcasters to purchase but that designated what we know as Series#9 as Series 9 & 10. It also missed out many Specials which as we are aware have not been broadcast in USA. They were never made available to USA broadcasters.

This was always a real bête noire for me!

Most of what has been written on this thread is correct but I am not sure it is comprehensive.

One point must be made absolutely clear! This was not a mistake by those who brought out the so-called Series 9 & 10 DVD. It was malice aforethought!!!!!

All came about very much as a result of Seymour's coming on the scene. Now I cannot remember all the details. It is almost seven years since the DVD came out. Nor can I find all the websites I was tracking at the time. But the essential point was that Series #9 was originally commissioned by the BBC as a six episode series for production either in 1985 or 1986. But along came Seymour and they wanted a big launch to introduce this new man into what at that time was a recognised by BBC as a big success for them. So what they did was produce a big film episode, 'Uncle of the Bride' which went out early 1986. They then spent 1986 filming the six episode Series #9 plus a newly commissioned further six episodes which the BBC considered another series, Series #10. In addition, there was, of course the 1986 Christmas Special, 'Merry Christmas, Father Christmas'. And that all went out as a single package at Christmas 1986 and early 1987.

That really covers the weasel words (or do I mean ferret words) I received from either BBC or Universal when I complained at the time. BBC considered there to be two series because that is how they commissioned the twelve episodes.

I can no longer find a very useful website by BBC Worldwide marketing which showed what was available for overseas broadcasters to purchase but that designated what we know as Series#9 as Series 9 & 10. It also missed out many Specials which as we are aware have not been broadcast in USA. They were never made available to USA broadcasters.

I have heard more or less what you say before.

I expect I heard it from you from an earlier post.

This does all seem quite correct - though the 12 episodes and Merry Christmas... were made at the same time AND shown as one package, and indeed as one series, it was not the norm then to make a series of more than six or seven (not counting the Christmas Special).

They were also desperately trying to promote Michael Aldridge, again which you indicate.

Though it could be argued that the 12 episodes COULD be considered as two series, rarely the BBC now would claim that 32 series were made.

Hi de Hi (I think, further research needs doing so feel free to correct me) followed a similar fate. Around the same time, perhaps even earlier (as early as 1982 perhaps) a mammoth series was made which got split into two series by Universal Playback.

This messed up the DVD series numbering too.

It would appear this was a new rarity like LOTSW Series 9.

All later series though were never divided up in this way, so I can only assume they changed their rules or policy.

Last edited:
Though it could be argued that the 12 episodes COULD be considered as two series, rarely the BBC now would claim that 32 series were made.

The BBC never really claimed 32 series. In my last I stated:

There the BBC never showed a Series 9 and a Series 10 separately. They designated what we know as Series #9 with 12 episodes as a single Series 9 & 10 with 12 episodes. So in total they indicated the availability of 31 series, numbered from #1 to #32 but one of which was #9 & 10. Regrets if that does not make much sense but none of this sorry saga made any sense anyway.

:02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02:

Certainly is a sorry saga. Very misleading and inaccurate.

It makes you wonder if they released them correctly, whether the complete Series 9 would have been released as just Series 9; or the complete Series 9 along with the actual series 10 (1988).

Based on later releases, probably the latter.

Playback never carried on their releases of Don't Wait Up - still only have Series 1 and 2.

Certainly is a sorry saga. Very misleading and inaccurate.

It makes you wonder if they released them correctly, whether the complete Series 9 would have been released as just Series 9; or the complete Series 9 along with the actual series 10 (1988).

Based on later releases, probably the latter.

Playback never carried on their releases of Don't Wait Up - still only have Series 1 and 2.

Goddamit.

Can't type open bracket nineteen eighty eight closed bracket now...

Re-reading Big Unc's very helpful comments (which I now recall from the time before) it makes me wonder whether the real mistake was on broadcasting labelling it all series 9?

We are stuck with it; and the discrepancy between various lists.

All I can do is echo Big Unc's :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02: :02:

whoops had to remove excess images --- 14 max

Back