Series 9, Episode 11; When You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible

wstol

Dedicated Member
I'm going to take a very big gamble here, and suggest that 'Yorkshire Tastes Terrible is episode 11 of series 9, which in turn implies that 'Wind Power' is episode 12, the finale of series 9.

Yes, it's all over the internet that 'Yorkshire' is the last one, it's in the Ross and Bright book, and it's on the dvd cover.

But I think Wind Power is episode 12. All I can base this on is my fading memory of the original transmission in March 1987, two Guinness books from the 90s, and a BBC video of Wind Power giving the transmission date of 22 March 1987.

When Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible is an excellent episode. It is the one where Clegg mourns the death of a close friend and recreates a bicycle ride they would go on.

The whole premise of course would have been far more appropriate as a tribute to Compo after he died, but who knew...

I actually watch this episode last night, I love it, the whole " Wasn't she a Hinchclife" is very funny and the idea of the 3 pubs, 3 pints at every pub and the climbing of the gate and tree was great.
Can you imagine having Compos ghost visiting you in your bedroom :eek:

Ranks as my Top 2 episodes of all time just love everything about it.Never tire of watching this episode along with Full steam Behind.Although made for three and Hail smiling morn come close.

I like this episode, isn't it also the last appearance of Wally Batty?

as wstol has said, if this wasnt the last 1 in the series then it wasnt his last episode cause he was in wind power, tbh ive always thought this was the final 1 but if all the info on the net has come from the bright and ross book (which wasnt exactly correct all the time) then wstol cud actually be right.

seeing this is about the good bite ep i wil have my say, its ok but not a classic imo theres better seymour ones from this series and his time all together, personally i think its 1 of the weaker ending shows 2 a series (if it was actually the last 1 of series 9), theres just summat about it tht doesnt agree with me, maybe the fact that its obvious now tht doubles are used a lot of the time or the scene with compo and clegg going on the tree is in double time might also have an affect on my feelings 4 this episode. 3/10.

This concept of "Wind Power" coming after "Yorkshire Tastes Terrible" is intriguing. However, I cannot believe that every website, including IMDb and TV.com, are based on Bright and Ross and there is also the DVD. I had an idea there was going to be a massive archive of Radio Times in which we could check these facts. In a way it does not matter. The filming of the Series #9 episodes would have been somewhat interleaved and at the end of the day the transmission order would have been somewhat random. Of course, Bright and Ross biggest cock-up was to date Series #9 transmission in 1986 when, of course, it was 1987.

I think I have stated before that this is, to me, the best regular series Seymour episode. The dialogue is brilliant and the central theme idiotically hilarious. In it there seemed to be a large portent of the Clegg we were going to see in later life when Roy Clarke gave him some of his very best lines.

Previously, a lot of you were curious to my views of this episode due to the American references. I wrote about it about 4-5 weeks ago but most of you seem to have missed it. Therefor, allow me to copy my previous thoughts on this topic. Perhaps it will stir up new comments and bring answers to some of my questions.

A lot of you were recommending “If you take a Good Bite, Yorkshire tastes Terrible” due to the American references. I got to see it last night. Although the American references don’t seem significant. Clegg was reading the letter about his friend’s (John Henry I think) wife marrying a Mr. Beckenschneider, who loves his Smith and Wesson, a type of hand gun. I didn’t really read that as a shot at Americans being into guns, just a play on an eccentric character, Mr. Beckenscheider.

Once again, we had previous discussions in this forum about Clarke’s interesting character names, and when he picks the name of an American, it is something wild like Beckenschneider! That part was funny. Speaking of names, I believe this is the first time he used” Hinchcliffe”, as I recall Gavin Hinchcliffe during the Truly years.

They were talking about Germans, since Beckenscheider is a German name. I am not sure if the person was meant to actually be German, or an American of German descent. But was funny line was… (pardon me if I paraphrase)

Nora: “I could never marry a German”
Wally: “You never gave it a try”

Later at Edie’s house there was the conversation led by Clegg about coffe and tea. It was an amusing observation, but not really a significant commentary about Americans. However, maybe I am slow and missing out on something in the episode.

I saw this episode before, about a year ago. I just didn’t remember the title or the details. It is a good episode, but not my favorite. It is what I call “one of Summer Wine’s “Aimlessly wandering around” episodes. This is where the guys wonder back and forth, not accomplishing much (like Short Back and Palais Glide, Dried Dates and Codfanglers). As I watch Summer Wine more closely nowadays I notice Roy Clarke balances the show with different types of episodes. For example, there is the aimlessly wandering episodes, then there is failed schemes and failed invention episodes (Odd Dog Men, Loxely Lozenge, etc.) traveling episodes (Pate and Chips, Cheering Up Gordon, etc.) and event-driven episodes (Going to Gordon’s Wedding, 2nd Stagg Night of Doggy Wilkinson, etc.)
Sorry for rambling but I realize now that delicate balance is a good thing. I noticed the following episode is titled, The Experiment, so that tells me something already.

Speaking of “The Experiment”, I recorded it earlier today as I was cooking. I only saw a peak of it so far. I love watching the evolution of Summer Wine from beginning to end and “The Experiment” introduces a part of the show’s latter years that is dear to my heart; ladies’ tea/coffee time. I was so delighted to see that!

PS

Another recent topic going on now is "Easrnshaw Strikes Again". I haven't seen that one for a while since I missed it in its last rotation, but I recall that is definitely an "Aimlessly Wandering" episode!

Back