Series 31 what did we think about episode 1

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Lets have your thoughts on the first episode of this last series, it seemed thin on the ground with cast,if I recall they did not film at Aunties last year,so there may only be studio shots

Hrmmm...

SPOILERS??

As far as the characters, looks like they're still keeping Hobbo as his past one. Maybe tone down a bit more with the spy/agent stuff. Did like the scene where he flips down the welder cap on Entwistle.

Toby and Morton - I like this pairing. Hope to see more of them.

Miss Davenport - Yesterday, I watched "In Which Gavin Hinchcliffe Lost the Gulf Stream" where she debuted and today seemed like an homage to that episode.

Cooper and Walsh - Always great to see these two, loved the last scene where the car was smoking as the trio drove by.

From what I've seen from the last two seasons, I have always enjoyed the pairing of Alvin and Entwistle. Whoever thought that up did a great job.

As far as the episode, I thought it was a decent start. Loved it when Pearl kept NOT running into Howard. Missed not seeing Auntie Wainwright and Tom on this one.

thp ... thp ... thppppp.

Really not up to scratch.

Neither Clegg nor Truly mentioned in the opening
credits, and totally gone soon after.

Some people are NEVER satisfied.

It was up to Roy Clarke's usual standard of gentle humour.

It really is amazing, we get people making all this fuss about it ending and then
people finding fault here and there, and picking up on negative rather than positive things.

No wonder the BBC are ending it with some feedback lie that. What do people expect him to cram into a 30 minute episode?

As regard to Frank thornton and Peter Sallis, don't people realise that they are getting no younger, and there is a limit as to what they can do. They can no longer film outside as no company will insure them due to their ages and the high risk of something happening outdoors.

You could hardly cram a 20 minute scene into Cleggy's with just him and Truly talking and I for one would not want that.

I don't think I will be posting for much longer if that is the kind of thing I am going to read. I shall just enyoy watching the programme without sharing my views with others who only look for faults.

C`mon Stewpot, everyone is entitled to their own opinions mate, do you really want everyone not to give their take on how the programme came across to them personally?
I've always liked Russ Abbot but i'm not that keen on him in Summer wine, i think Brian Murphy and Burt Kwouk were fine on their own, i still miss Billy Hardcastle (Keith Clifford), he used to make me cry with laughter.

Some of the scenes in last nights show, seemed to have a hint of recycling in them but nontheless, it wasn't bad considering that most of the regulars seemed to be featured less than in previous series.

I think we have to accept that the programme has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years, some of us seem to be hanging on to what it was and don't like the idea that it could well be the real reason that Summer wine is ending.

I shall certainly be watching it until the very last episode on 29th August.

G ; )

I really enjoyed this first episode of ever last series of LOTSW, and I hope the next 5 episodes are at least as nice as this one, they may be funnier I think. The actors are getting older and older, and I think that the producer has to be careful with what they want these actors to do. Even Hobbo, who is a bit younger than some of the others, could have a fall e.g. when climbing over things.
Probably it is good that it is the last series, it is very difficult to keep things going on for so many years, people change, I would have liked it to go on for ever, but that is impossible. I taped last night's episode, and will tape the other 5 as well.
I also like Burt Kwouk and Brian Murphy, they were good last night.
And it was great that Countryfile had lots on Holmfirth and Summerwine too, taped that as well!
Marianne Smits-Jansen
Roermond, The Netherlands.

Some people are NEVER satisfied.

You could hardly cram a 20 minute scene into Cleggy's with just him and Truly talking and I for one would not want that.

A lot of much earlier episodes had a lot of talking with just the three protagonists and some of that was inside the cafe. Possibly not a full 20 minutes.

In theory it should be possible to film them with an outside background but safely? But I am not an expert on the intricacies of filing.

thp ... thp ... thppppp.

Really not up to scratch.

Neither Clegg nor Truly mentioned in the opening
credits, and totally gone soon after.

I thought their names were on the second screen of names.

I just love Cleggy looking for a collar stud - I think I still have a spare one some where! To me that totally encapsulates Cleggy who is lost in a world long gone - bit like me I sometimes think......

I thought their names were on the second screen of names.

Yup, sorry bout that. Not seeing Sallis on the first
screen had me a bit chuffed. Also no sign of Ivy.
Is Ivy also dispensable??

In any case I shall watch this again with a glass of Ardbeg
and hope it improves. I think I just have a thing about Hobbo
and the sheer number of other characters (hence the proliferation
of subplots) in the later adventures. I will always miss the
stark simplicity of the early tales when it was mostly
about the three lads. I know, I know .....

I agree cciaffone, I don't care much for Hobbo either...Like BluprintZ said, I really miss Billy Hardcastle. He was a great character.

Anyway, I just watched "Behind Every Bush There is Not Necessarily a Howard", (had to wait til it was posted on Dailymotion). I enjoyed it. It was okay for a post-Hardcastle episode.

I laughed out loud when Pearl said; "I can't get used to finding a bush without a Howard in it"...
25r30wi.gif

OK, watched it again last night. Much better than
the first time, and I stayed awake throughout.

Still do not take too Hobo. Kind of a bad parody
of Foggy. The police guyz were good.

But unlike the earlier episodes, there was no real
thread, no real plot to carry through with. Some
rambling, but no coherence.

[....
.... I will always miss the
stark simplicity of the early tales when it was mostly
about the three lads. I know, I know .....

So do I - far fewer regulars thus each story had more telling and - there were some wonderful dialogues with the gentle hillsides in panoramic shot --- however that is past and we cn still enjoy the DVDs and videos

When they limited Cleggy and Truly just to Cleggy's living room/lounge, it is emblematic of what usually happens to senior citizens nowadays, whether they retire to an adult community, end up in assisted living or go to an old folks home; they are still set apart. I would have liked to have seen them have longer scenes that included significant nuggets of wisdom or other philosophical points relating to the theme of the episode.

Back