Series 30 & 31

I had a great friend and workmate who served on the Russian Convoys. When asked about his experiences ,his final reply was always "You don't want to know!"

Or was the writing for the Foggy character supposed to represent the desire to return to their youthful days? After all, isn't part of the foundation of the series about 3 elderly gents trying to relive some of their good old days gone by? I think pretending to be a super hero, a sports hero, or a military hero is what lots of little boys did when they played together after school. And the trio reminisce quite frequently about their old school days and chums.

The Foggy war stories may just be his way of pretending to be someone great........just like he did as a school kid.

Still annoys me it never got a proper ending and without going off track on a long rant look what's it replaced by~ reality TV rubbish

I agree and if they had done just after the series ended as a special it would of been great,but sadly much to late to do it now

Is that 'From The Director's Chair' Is it worth buying?

Yes but there are aspects of it that I find frustrating. Still, it does give a lot if insight into how the show was made and how things developed over the years Bell was running it.

Just finished reading the book. .It was funny, sad and interesting. Shame it wasn't longer. Lots of the cast come across as lovely people with the exception of Brian Wilde who came across as awkward and unpleasant. His list of demands which included the driver at the hotel mustn't speak to him made him look petty abd egotistical. I guess it's a case of admiring the art not the artist when it came to him

Good read.

A lot of good ideas in this thread on how the show was and how it could have gone. I'm a bit late to the thread but would like to add a little of my thoughts.

I was really enjoying the characters of Billy, Alvin and Entwhistle as they appeared in more episodes. Thought they made a great trio to possibly take over the shenanigans as Clegg and Truly were no longer able to do. So was sad to see the shift to more of the Captain, Morton and Hobo team. I did not know why Billy left the show till this thread. Sorry to find that he had back issues and was unable to continue.

I do like the Morton and Barry adventures, found them likeable characters who could be friends. Even liked it when Glenda went about to fix up Morton with a girlfriend. Felt the four of them could have provided some nice writing potential for the show. They were young enough to also help take some of the load off of Clegg and Truly.

I liked Trevor in 'Are You Being Served?' Was alright seeing him on the golf course for a few minutes a show. Yet, for some reason just did not care for him as he took on more focus and eventually moved in beside Barry and Glenda. Seemed all he cared about was getting his things back from his wife or having Morton do all his chores.

Russ was great as Basilton Bond. Watched many a show long ago. Just thought him too wanna-be Foggy-like in character when the show's focus shifted to him. If he had toned down the over the top secret spy angle a bit I think I could have liked him more.

Miss Davenport as a character was starting to grow well. I found it devilishly charming of her to have some fun with Barry by tricking him into thinking she fancied him. I liked that more than the timid side her character showed. She and Glenda could have made good pals and would have been nice to see Marina added to their friends group. Can see the three of them sharing tea as the original ladies did. To have them chat about men and for Glenda to discover the things she missed when she was told to "Drink your coffee!" by Edie. I know the older group of ladies shunned Marina but would have been nice to see the younger group of ladies take her in as a friend. Obviously, I would not expect Marina and Pearl to sup tea together.

I liked the banter with Tom and Smiler and their dealings with Auntie. Tom's character became more likeable as I saw him in more episodes. I can see Smiler doing less physical things as he aged but am not sure why Tom did not join in more with Barry and the younger guys. He could have joined in with Barry, Glenda and Morton. Or even with Billy, Alvin and Entwhistle to take over from Clegg and Truly.

It was nice to see more of Cooper and Walsh taking larger roles. I like these guys and felt they could of had a stronger presence in the show.

The final season did at times seem like a long continous episode about Howard and Marina. As much as I like the two characters, I prefer them as secondary to the main characters.

Ideally, I guess I would have liked to see the show to have carried on with Billy, Alvin and Entwhistle as the new main group with possibly Tom too. Still having Clegg and Trully around for less physically demanding roles. The two of the of them sitting somewhere having a drink and reflecting over the activities of what else is going on in the show. Glenda, Barry with Morton and his ladyfriend as the second main group. Heavy showings of Cooper and Walsh to add their humor. Marina, Howard and Pearl doing their thing. Alvin and Stella with their banter. Miss Davenport, Auntie and Ivy continuing to run their shops. The ladies still having their tea gatherings. Plus some Tom and Smiler mixed in there as they were able.

On a side note about Alvin, I have come across a few episodes of 'Man About the House' and 'George and Mildred'. Enjoying watching him in those. I can see where the American sitcom 'Three's Company' got the inspiration from. I remember enjoying that show as a kid. Enough babbling from me at the moment.

Cheers,
Rick

As some of you may know I am a Howard Pearl and Marina fan. When serie's 31 finished a spin off featuring the three I think wiuld have been good.

Glad I got the book it's opened my eyes to the beauty of the writing. I took it for granted before but when you watch closely you appreciate how great it is. I've just watched the one in which Norman Wisdom and the police end up the same lake. The foggy one in which he has a bleeper 'Barry Christmas ' was funny as well
I'm going to try and watch as many as I can now with a fresh insight after the book

I am also going to risk the wrath of some of you lovely folks, I have tried these late series and I am sure the stories are as good as ever, but as always I find them difficult to watch: as in my heart I want to see Wally Batty , Ivy with Sid , Nora and of course the wonderful Three as they used to be (don't mind if the third is Blamire, Foggy or Seymour). They were all in there prime and so deliciously funny, and for me, having fewer characters some how made it a more intimate and homely experience as if some how they were part of ones own family ......Such happy days .... :):):):)
Think I had better run for cover !!:13:

:):)

Back