Series 12, Episode 10; A Landlady for Smiler

wstol

Dedicated Member
Perhaps a disappointing end to a fantastic series, but still very good.

Stephen Lewis makes his second appearance here - though from here his character is now known as Smiler, the name Clem Hemingway is never heard again. One has to wonder if the C of his alias CW Northrop stood for Clem.

Possibly Roy Clarke left this episode till the end of the series (though a Christmas special wasn't far away) so he could decide if Smiler would return to the next series as Nora Batty's lodger.

I think it was a very good idea to introduce Smiler as Nora Batty's lodger. Since the death of Joe Gladwin, it gave us the chance to see Nora Batty nagging someone on those famous steps again.

Smiler remained a lodger for about three series. The anxiety it caused Compo was great. When Smiler left his lodgings, he was then seen as an employee of Auntie Wainwrights, which for me wasn't as funny.

Stephen Lewis makes his second appearance here - though from here his character is now known as Smiler, the name Clem Hemingway is never heard again. One has to wonder if the C of his alias CW Northrop stood for Clem.

Possibly Roy Clarke left this episode till the end of the series (though a Christmas special wasn't far away) so he could decide if Smiler would return to the next series as Nora Batty's lodger.

I think it was a very good idea to introduce Smiler as Nora Batty's lodger. Since the death of Joe Gladwin, it gave us the chance to see Nora Batty nagging someone on those famous steps again.

Smiler remained a lodger for about three series. The anxiety it caused Compo was great. When Smiler left his lodgings, he was then seen as an employee of Auntie Wainwrights, which for me wasn't as funny.

I do recall this getting debated before but it remains my contention that Stephen Lewis first appearance in "That Certain Smile" was intended as a one off. There were too many detailed differences when he returned, particularly in his name. And there was along gap between those two appearances.

I did find Compo's "anxiety" over Smiler lodging with Nora Batty one of the more tedious prolonged themes.

I did find Compo's "anxiety" over Smiler lodging with Nora Batty one of the more tedious prolonged themes.
I'm with you on the anxiety theme Big Unc! :(

I too think that Stephen`s first appearance didn't have the feel you might normally get with a new character being 'introduced' to the viewer as opposed to a guest appearance. I did like the effect it had on Compo as Smiler took up residence with " My Bird ". It showed Compo being genuinely worried, upset and threatened by Smiler instead of his normal feckless and casual approach to romancing Nora. :D

I loved Stephen Lewis as Smiler. He was a great character to receive grief from people on general, whether it be Nora, Auntie, or Compo. So I respectfully disagree on this part of your statement, WSTOL. Seeing his miserable facial expressions and hearing his pathetic voice was a good comic addition to the show.

I agree with you Codfanglers. Smiler is one of my very favorite characters, and I really like the episodes where he's lodging at Nora Batty's. The very last one, Springing Smiler, is one of the funniest episodes ever!

Back