Recommendations anyone?

Emma

Dedicated Member
If you could spend a week exploring one of the destinations listed below, which would you choose, and why? Travel dates range between July 9 and Sept 8.

1. Filming locations of Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, Agatha Raisin, and Agatha Christie's home, Greenway Estate
2. Filming locations of Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, Wolf Hall, Poldark, and Greenway Estate
3. Tours of Bletchley Castle, Althorp, Gwrych Castle, and Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Thanks in advance

# 2 I suppose, I would miss out Midsomer it always seemed a dangerous place to be
With a smile , I agree, tho Midsomer fills me with pause. I have often wondered how a sweet little librarian could write such grisly novels depicting people being bumped off in such hilarious ways. I love that series. The Rainbirds were my favorite characters. Thanks

I would contradict that and opt for Midsomer I have been to Thame , Warborough and Haddenham as part of a National Holidays break and I thought they were all picturesque and well worth a visit, plus the other destinations , particularly Agatha Christie's house, I would think would be a must . Stratford is a lovely place but it is just so busy as are some of the picturesque villages in easy reach of Stratford such as Stow on the Wold or Bourton on the Water .

Many moons ago,when I was in telecoms, one of my areas was Oxfordshire, often in the smaller towns, and I used to get this feeling I had been there before, it took a while to work out I had seen these places in Midsomer

Sounds like you are planning a fun time Emma. I am envious. Please post pics when you are able. :)

Sounds like you are planning a fun time Emma. I am envious. Please post pics when you are able. :)
A club I belong to travels to England each year. It's as if they want us to see everything in one trip, because we may never have another chance. And while this may be true, because many of us are up in age, they still cram too many stops into a very short time. I am too old to travel by bus, explore/photograph/shop/eat, etc. in two cities in one day for 5 days in a row. It's exhausting. For the first time, we have the option of five different trips, but there are still too many stops. One trip is five days spent in the wine country of France. Five days in one city sounds appealing, but I am not a wine connoisseur, and can't tell a merlot from a pinot noir. I just want to visit LOTSW territory, but it seems as if that is never going to happen.

Many moons ago,when I was in telecoms, one of my areas was Oxfordshire, often in the smaller towns, and I used to get this feeling I had been there before, it took a while to work out I had seen these places in Midsomer

Many years ago when I was an NHS employee we had some hospitals in Oxfordshire although I was based in Wiltshire, but a visit to one of these certainly boosted ones travel expenses. They were in lovely rural settings and all now superceded by community care arrangements as these long term care facilities were phased out in the 1980s.

Those tiny, picturesque villages are unlike anything I have ever seen. There is nothing comparable here, in my neck of the woods. I would love to visit the locations where Midsomer was filmed, and Agatha Raisin, and Father Brown, and on and on. A friend showed me photographs taken in The Chalfonts, in Buckinghamshire. I have only seen photos like those on post cards, they looked unreal. One house she visited, even though considered small by U.S. standards, was selling for more than 2.2 mil BPS. Wowsers!

The village is still unspoiled because they have VERY STRICT rules about hiding modern items such as satellite dishes, etc. The show is aired on WETA UK, Washington, DC. at 7:00 or 8:00 AM Monday - Friday.

Back