Railway Trivia

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Cannot recall if we have any other railway buffs aboard apart from Chris.

Was stopped at a level crossing gate here in Dunfermline around 6pm last evening and was surprised to see a diesel locomotive hauled train - 67022 pulling six coaches forming the 17:18 Edinburgh Waverley to Cardenden. Thought First Scotrail had enough diesel units available by now such as no longer to need these leased trains from English Welsh and Scottish (EWS).

Visited the Summerlee Industrial Museum at Coatbridge recently. For the first time saw one of the massive Beyer-Garrett locomotives. Surprised it had no identifying information but research subsequently online showed it to be South African Railways No: 4112 built at the North British Locomotive Co Hyde Park works, Springburn, Glasgow in the mid 1950s.

I think I might qualify as a railway buff - locomotive haulage is rare partly due to the need to run round at the end of the run and some stations no longer have that facility and I suspect flyshunting is definitely not on the agenda.

However could be a shortage of DMUs before too long as all the old 4 wheeled stock, Pacers, will not be disability compliant by 2020 and impossible to upgrade.

Beyer-Garretts from South Africa are to be seen in action on the Welsh Highland and they are enormous for a two foot gauge line (OK 1' 11 1/2" to be precise); actually almost the same size as our standard gauge locomotives.

Thanks for posting.

There always used to be two trains employed - morning and evening rush hour on the Fife Circle trains from Edinburgh. It was intended to discontinue using loco hauled when DMUs became available from the Edinburgh-Bathgate line went that went electric with the new through line from Glasgow (and the North Clyde lines). Don't know what happened to those units.

Well, I've read the above posts and I really have no idea what everyone is talking about except that it's about trains. But as I understand it, train service is plentiful and efficient. Here in the US, in addition to AMTRAK (government-run passenger service); there are a large number of restored short tourist lines, some of which are powered by steam engines and others powered by older diesel engines.

We also have many tourist lines here in the UK,several used in TV shows and Films,a popular one is the Keighley & Worth Valley made famous for the Railway Children and used in the LOSW Episode Full Steam behind and more recently The Great Train Robbery, The North Yorkshire Moors Railway was often seen in the TV Show Heartbeat,From Big Unc's Part of the world the Strathspey Steam Railway seen in the TV show Monarch of the Glen

We also have many tourist lines here in the UK,several used in TV shows and Films,a popular one is the Keighley & Worth Valley made famous for the Railway Children and used in the LOSW Episode Full Steam behind and more recently The Great Train Robbery, The North Yorkshire Moors Railway was often seen in the TV Show Heartbeat,From Big Unc's Part of the world the Strathspey Steam Railway seen in the TV show Monarch of the Glen

The Strathspey is probably most scenic:
http://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/
But do not forget the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at Bo'ness near Falkirk, somewhat larger in terms of locomotives and rolling stock:
http://www.srps.org.uk/
I have seen SRPS locomotives loaned to the Strathspey.

Well, I've read the above posts and I really have no idea what everyone is talking about except that it's about trains. But as I understand it, train service is plentiful and efficient. Here in the US, in addition to AMTRAK (government-run passenger service); there are a large number of restored short tourist lines, some of which are powered by steam engines and others powered by older diesel engines.

Sorry, this was a very British style discussion that not even some British people would understand let alone those from elsewhere.

I live very close to a preserved or heritage line (similar to your restored short lines) as well as having a lot of involvement with the narrow gauge (anything under 4' 8.5" gauge) - and some of your short lines were narrow gauge with either a 24" or 36" gauge and occasionally 30".

However the use of varied stock does tend to arouse our interest or formations out of the ordinary. I have some involvement in a Community Rail Partnership which seeks to promote a particular rural line.

I do recall a trip I made many years ago on the Essex Steam Railway in Mystic County, Connecticut. Thoroughly enjoyed the scenery.

My earlier post was about the regular First Scotrail service providing the passenger rail service connecting the south of Fife, via the Forth Bridge to Edinburgh. In Fife there is a rail circuit (the Fife Circle) so some trains start and end in Edinburgh. The line to the north serving North East Fife diverges from the circle and goes to Perth (onward to Inverness) or, via the Tay Bridge, to Dundee and Aberdeen.

There always used to be two trains employed - morning and evening rush hour on the Fife Circle trains from Edinburgh. It was intended to discontinue using loco hauled when DMUs became available from the Edinburgh-Bathgate line went that went electric with the new through line from Glasgow (and the North Clyde lines). Don't know what happened to those units.

Quite a few units from the north have been earmarked for new Chiltern railways service (class 170) and this could have a knock-on effect on availability as there are no plans to build any new diesel units as electrification is meant to reduce the number of diesels required overall and they can be redeployed. However a lot of the stock is time expired, being well over 25 years old now - typically railway rolling stock had an expected life of 30 years maximum although that has often been exceeded such as our 125 Inter-City trains (mark 3 coaches with twin power cars).

Quite a few units from the north have been earmarked for new Chiltern railways service (class 170) and this could have a knock-on effect on availability as there are no plans to build any new diesel units as electrification is meant to reduce the number of diesels required overall and they can be redeployed.

Worries me when I hear we are losing Class 170s. First Scotrail have a rotten tendency to put an inadequate single, mere two coaches, Class 156 instead of the just adequate three coach Class 170 on the Fife Circle. One reason I tend to use buses more to Edinburgh particularly with bus pass.

Of course the class 156 are now 25 years old and thus should expect to be retired in five years time, although out of all the second generation DMUs were the best I travelled on.

Back