Poignant Little Moments

Norm

Dedicated Member
We all have our own favourite LOTSW wonderful comic scenes both the visual and verbal, but hidden in the laughter and fun there are some little poignant moments. One of my favourites is in "Getting Sam Home" when the three visit the local school and Clegg talks about their childhood and the time a bird was killed when it flew into the window, its quite a sad little moment which finishes with Clegg saying " little Tommy Naylor lying in Africa somewhere blood on his beak", Watching that scene I always think of my father who fought in North Africa and thankfully survived and sadly all those little Tommy Naylor's who didn't.

Are there any other such moments that strike a chord with anyone ???

Hello Norm,

For me you do not need to look further than The Afterthoughts of a Coop Manager where Clegg spends the whole episode trying to remember the name of his Area Manager at the Coop who he detested immensely and does not hold back describing his hatred for the man , until the very last scene when he , Truly and Alvin are having a drink at the pub and Clegg informs them that he does not hate the man now and discloses that he had served in the army and was awarded the VC for gallantry , at which point he stands with the others and raises a toast to his now departed manager . People I know had to hold back the tears and try to clear the lump in their throat when they watched that episode.

And there is Old "Slasher" Sylvester in The Phantom of the Graveyard one of the boys old teachers who has passed away. They seem to have an affection for him even though he was good with a cane. "Firm but Fair" according to Compo.

In Pate and Chips, the most poignant little moment is at the end. The trio is seen in a long shot, having fun walking across the grass with the children. I think that Blamire (or someone) has put one child on his shoulders. That is so poignant.

Another "moment" is when Cleggy says after Compo's funeral service "Thought you might like another wander through the hills old lad!":25:

Last post and pigeon.

Hello to everyone in "summerwineland"....i hope you are all well.
For me,the most moving episode is "last post and pigeon".
Despite his obvious serious illness,bill owen insisted on continuing the life of his alterego.
He refused to be beaten by that terrible illness,and actually said to peter sallis "we have so much more to do".
From his expression when he realised that he would not be going to france,to the bugle blowing,and his beautiful descriptions of his wartime experiences whilst serving his country,shows what a unique talent this special man had.
To see a man who made the whole series "come to life" from episode 1 deteriate to such a degree is truly heartbreaking.
It tells you everything about the man,when he disregarded his pain,in order to bring viewing pleasure to us all.
Best wishes to each and everyone on our wonderful website.
Keith.
X!

Last edited:
A couple of the little moments that stand out in my mind:

"Getting on Sydney's Wire" - the trio are bringing the plank back to the café but Compo lags behind in an messy alley. Clegg comes back to see what he's doing and Compo reminisces about a girl he courted who lived in that area when they were young. The music is perfect and its a great little quiet moment amidst the humor of one of the show's better episodes.

"From Wellies to Wet Suit" - Compo is changing into the wetsuit under a bridge while Clegg and Foggy have a conversation on top. Foggy talks about the challenges his mother faced raising him, particularly in regards to her confusion about why he always came home with creepy crawlies down his trousers.

The brilliance of Roy Clarke's writing is that he can combine scenes of laughter with these quiet moments. And its always perfectly accented by the music provided by Ronnie Hazlehurst.

The brilliance of Roy Clarke's writing is that he can combine scenes of laughter with these quiet moments. And its always perfectly accented by the music provided by Ronnie Hazlehurst.

You are absolutely spot on there.

Examples where the music made it all the more poignant include;
1) The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty - the scene where Foggy is describing Nora and Wally preparing to go to sleep.

2) Uncle of the Bride in the pub where Clegg is describing what's virtually a fairytale about the man with all the shirts.

3) Virtually everything in Getting Sam Home.

A real life "tearjerker"

Hello to all my fellow members,i hope you are all well !!.
The ultimate episode for poignancy,and genuine pathos is the "seeya compo" moment on the hill.
Nora,ivy,edie,marina,glenda,clegg,truely,howard et al were crying "real tears !!!!!!!!!!!!".
There was no "lights,camera,action" in that scene.
To have a lifelong friend and colleague suffer to the extent bill did,yet see him carry on with such determination must have been heartbreaking to all the cast,and the the film crew,and directors.
It is impossible to think of the emotions of nora,ivy and cleg,who had been on the journey,with bill,from day 1.
The whole scene was immaculate,from start to finish.......a fitting tribute to a special,unique man.
Best wishes to each and everyone on our wonderful site !!!!!
Keith.
X!

Hello to all my fellow members,i hope you are all well !!.
The ultimate episode for poignancy,and genuine pathos is the "seeya compo" moment on the hill.
Nora,ivy,edie,marina,glenda,clegg,truely,howard et al were crying "real tears !!!!!!!!!!!!".
There was no "lights,camera,action" in that scene.
To have a lifelong friend and colleague suffer to the extent bill did,yet see him carry on with such determination must have been heartbreaking to all the cast,and the the film crew,and directors.
It is impossible to think of the emotions of nora,ivy and cleg,who had been on the journey,with bill,from day 1.
The whole scene was immaculate,from start to finish.......a fitting tribute to a special,unique man.
Best wishes to each and everyone on our wonderful site !!!!!
Keith.
X!

I don't disagree with your assessment, but there is a difference between the "poignant little moments" of the series and the big moments that the Compo passing trilogy is focused on. Sort of an apples vs. oranges thing, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Apples v oranges ??

Sarkus,my friend,with all due respect,i am fully aware that there is a distinct difference between "a poignant little moment",and the catastrophically sad episode featuring the "see ya compo " scene.
I was just trying to open the conversation up a little,and did not realise that i was in an english composition lesson.
If you take the time to read my previous posts,you will see that i try to bring something a little "different" to the site,and am always positive in my posts,and my comments.
We all have to remember....it is not a competion about who knows the most or who analyses each post correctly.
It is a site for like minded individuals,who take the time and effort to post comments.
There is no room on this site for petty criticism.
Best wishes,as always,
keith.

There are actually quite of poignant moments and I might revisit this thread with more later. However, two small scenes have always stuck out for me.

1. One of my favorite episodes from Foggy's second run is There are Gypsies at the Bottom of our Garden. I love the ending where Dewhurst Nature Tours love the crazy concept) leads everyone to Howard and Marina. But in the end throughout all the chaos, Edie looks around and and spots Wesley sitting by the bus smiling at her. Keep in mind that just about all the time we seem them together, Edie is giving him grief, but in this rare moment Wesleys gives her such a warm smile.

Come to think of it, this is a bit uncharacteristic of Wesley.

2. In "How to Remove a Cousin", Aubrey takes over Clegg's house. There was the simple moment where Pearl was bringing milk to Clegg. Despite the interruption by Aubrey, it was just so different to see the stern Pearl be caring enough to bring milk to her neighbor. It just shows the way things were in the old days when neighbors looked out for each other.

My reply to cciaffone re criticism of members posts.

Good afternoon cciaffone, i trust you are well.
After 24 hours,analysing your post,in reply to my plea for no petty criticism to members who take the time and effort to become "involved" in a debate,i find it quite sad that you feel such criticism is justified,and even be encouraged ??.
If you do decide that the answer to my post should be "i beg to differ",please elaborate as to why you "beg to differ"???.
There are a large number of elderly people who post [unlike me,who is in his 40's,and "a docker" by profession] who may be put off by such comments.
This site is dedicated to "the greatest show on earth".
I feel it does not require any criticism from 1 member ato another.
Keith.
P.s. I tried to post a "private message" to tell you this........but.......you do not accept "private messages" ?????

Sorry. Mostly just trying to point out that over the time
I have been here, and at several other SW fora as
well, petty criticism has never been lacking.
I am certainly not cheering it, just acknowledging it's
existence.

And oh by the way, I am another of the "elderly
people ...who may be put off by such comments."

Cciaffone.....no apologies needed,my friend !!!

Hello mate,if i have upset you in any way,please accept my sincere apologies !!!!
Life is too short for fellow"summerwineites" [or whatever we are called !!!] to fall out.
With all the chaos around us at present,it is our special show,and the special bond we all have that keeps me [and i'm sure many others] sane !!!!!
It is a welcome escape from "real life" !!!!!!!!!
Once again mate,please accept my sincere apologies if i have offended or upset you !!!
Best wishes,as always !!!,
keith.
X!

In Pate and Chips, the most poignant little moment is at the end. The trio is seen in a long shot, having fun walking across the grass with the children. I think that Blamire (or someone) has put one child on his shoulders. That is so poignant.

The end of this episode is one my favorites; when they're sitting on the steps sharing a can of Carlsberg making little toasts to others. Blamire definitely appears to be a little lit, which brings a bit of the common man to his character, IMO.

Another poignant moment was when Clegg and Truly were walking out of the house on their way to Compo's funeral. Pearl and Howard come out at the same time and Pearl takes Clegg's arm. I don't think that anyone was acting at that moment.

Back