Other Than Summer Wine........

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
If you could pick just one TV show other than Summer Wine to be back on TV what would it be

Good question. Call My Bluff. Maybe.....but depends who the captains were. Arthur Marshal was great. So was Sandi Toxvig.

Ohh yes who do you think would be a good presenter for it now.Used to like it when Richard Obrien was on it was not so keen on Ed Tudor Pole

Don't know if you folks have heard of this show...but...I would like to see
Disney's "Five Mile Creek".

Roy Clarke's 'Rosie'. PCs, Penrose and Wilmot, were so much funnier than Cooper and Walsh. And another of Roy's, 'Potter', originally with Arthur Lowe, Norris Cole from Corrie, would be a perfect Potter.

I will stick with British shows for my answer. Technically, this could be answered simply by which are my favorite shows. I will put my favorite British shows into 2 categories- those that just ran for two seasons, and those that ran for quite a few more.

As mentioned before, one of my issues with many British sitcoms is that they last for only 2 seasons (12 episodes or so). For some of these great programs, this simply isn't enough. American sitcoms tend to have the opposite problem (they go on forever until the humor really dries up).

Anyway, some great 2 season programs that would have brought so much joy to many by running longer include..... (OK, only one is recent)

Fawlty Towers
Young Ones
The Office
The Old Guys (I believe it ran for only 2 series- correct me if I am wrong)

Realistically, the shows that ran for 6 or more seasons seem more likely to make comebacks. These are shows in which I really grew fond of the characters and it was sad to see them go.

-As Time Goes By (my wife and I see ourselves as a younger Lionel and Jean, and I love Penny and Steve and the Hampshire folk)
-Keeping Up Appearances (even though the scripts didn't differ from each other much, I just love Clive Swift and would have enjoyed seeing him tormented by Hyacinth more.
-Waiting for God (love the clash between Tom and Diane and the management and other authorities)
-Ballykissangel (always loved following the genuine characters, and it satisfies the Irish side of me)

A lot of times I write a response without much thought to it and then I look back and realize I could have made a lot more sense. Looking back on my last response, As Time Goes By and Keeping Up Appearances are the most realistic shows to possibly make a comeback.

Allow me to do some math and please excuse me if I am off a bit. Both of these shows were in the 90's. During the time of filming, the main characters of KUA were roughly the age of Summer Wine's trio during the Blamire years, so perhaps today they would be around the ages of the guys in the early Truly years. As I previously mentioned, over the years I have developed a love for the character, Richard, and Clive Swift in general. However, I read the Patricia Routledge resents the role of Hyacinth because she doesn't want to be remembered for a slapstick role and wants to be known for more serious roles.

OK, Lionel and Jean of As Time Goes By appear to be roughly the age of the trio during the Seymour years. So now that might make them around the age of the guys during the Hobbo years. Now that is pretty old, however, i could imagine rather elderly couples being quite funny. Lionel is a bit of a socially aloof, grumpy at times, character. I could see those traits develop further over the years. Lionel and Jean would be great with grandkids and Allister could still get on Lionel's nerves. Add an elderly Penny and Steve to the mix and that is definitely a great combination. Although I imagine Judith Dench is occupied with biggerr things.

Anyway, after further reflection, these are my favorite shows in which a comeback is most realistic!

OK, Lionel and Jean of As Time Goes By appear to be roughly the age of the trio during the Seymour years. So now that might make them around the age of the guys during the Hobbo years. Now that is pretty old, however, i could imagine rather elderly couples being quite funny. Lionel is a bit of a socially aloof, grumpy at times, character. I could see those traits develop further over the years. Lionel and Jean would be great with grandkids and Allister could still get on Lionel's nerves. Add an elderly Penny and Steve to the mix and that is definitely a great combination. Although I imagine Judith Dench is occupied with biggerr things.

Sadly Moyra Fraser who played Penny passed away in 2009 aged 86. Did niot realise she was born in Australia. Paul Chapman, born 1939, now around 73 who played Stephen was significantly younger. Interesting that they only appeared in 14 of the 67 episodes. Seemed like more.

Back