Old Audio style

I still have some old 8 tracks, why, I don't know? I switched to cassette as soon as they came on the market. Better sound and took up less space..

I still have some old 8 tracks, why, I don't know? I switched to cassette as soon as they came on the market. Better sound and took up less space..
As a child my parents had a Dancet type record player with a built-in 8 track cassette player. In those days it was really fashionable. You could stack the 7 inch singles and as one finished the next would drop. I don't know what happened to it

Surprised you said cassette sounded better, as 8 track was twice the speed and tape width

I only ever had an 8 track in my Triumph Stag. A friend actually had a Phillips record player in his car, under dash mounted & the turntable hung inside by multiple springs to iron out the cars motion. It worked.

Surprised you said cassette sounded better, as 8 track was twice the speed and tape width
Still way better in my opinion and you don't have the nasty switching channels during a song. I prefer records on a nice system if we get down to basics. But Keith Richards and other musicians have come out and said that cassettes have the best sound of all. Debatable obviously, but an interesting comment none the less..

Last edited:
I often commandeered the 8-track in our car (pre driving age) and always had a cassette player during teen years. Cheap Sparkomatic brand speakers. I had some friends who often modded their speakers to Sony or Pioneer and had a "graphic equalizer" or pre-amp which was required equipment for weekend cruising : )

Ooooohhh, if you remember 8 Tracks, don't sit still for very long or they will send you out for carbon dating!

Smiler's early 70's Chevrolet Caprice convertible (the football stadium) would have had a factory installed AM FM cassette radio in the dash, the leading edge of technology back then. The brand name on it would have been 'Delco'. I don't remember any American car coming with a factory 8 Track. They were always scabbed up under the dash, usually Japanese made.

Ooooohhh, if you remember 8 Tracks, don't sit still for very long or they will send you out for carbon dating!

Smiler's early 70's Chevrolet Caprice convertible (the football stadium) would have had a factory installed AM FM cassette radio in the dash, the leading edge of technology back then. The brand name on it would have been 'Delco'. I don't remember any American car coming with a factory 8 Track. They were always scabbed up under the dash, usually Japanese made.
Thanks for clarifying, I was going to ask what sort of car Smiler & Tom drove. I think this was the first reference I can find of it on this site, it a fair old size!!!

Last edited:

Actually Ford started offering them in the mid 1960's. I had a 66 Mustang with a factory 8 track. I think GM followed suit?

I thought it was a Chevrolet Impala.

@Onslow unlike the VHS/Betamax battle none of these really took off, for a while people continued to use cassettes for recording and when the price of CD's came down people used those. But it was the dawn of the mp3 and that took over from all the physical formats so MiniDisk/DCC/DAT were all ultimately doomed.

Interestingly my MiniDisc machine was the first thing I ever sold on ebay!

Smiler and Tom's car may have been a Caprice Classic, which would have been Chevy's top of the line. I say this because something in the memory banks suggests that all of the Caprice convertibles were Classics. The emblems were all knocked off of Smiler's car so I have no way to visually confirm. Another Chevy Caprice convertible of about the same model year was filmed in another LOTSW episode. I can't think of the name of the episode, but it was the one where Compo was chauffeur driven to the television studio in a red Caprice convertible, to make a Television appearance on an amateur talent show, to do his Morris Chevalier imitation (the French pronounce it Maurice). You must have been a beautiful baaaaby, you must have been a beautiful child.........

Back