Noisy cooling

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
Spent three hours this morning bringing my computer out of the 17th century. I installed water cooling.
Quite a few of my friends and associates (some so called experts) have been recommending this water cooling for a while now. So I bit the bullet.
All I can say is is that I'll have to spend another three sodding hours tomorrow putting it all back to the way it was.
IT IS NOW TOO NOISY, the so-called "silent" Corsair fans are total garbage, the noise they emit remind me of the computers I worked with ten years ago (small jet engine, low flying).
Not only the noise but the temperature has gone UP. I had trained my machine, with the aid of a fanless Zalman heatsink, to run on idle at about 32 C average now it is about 44 C

I WANT THOSE SIX HOURS BACK

Have you put the water in, I reckon you must have a duff one,as mine is so quiet I can here you moaning from here

I was going to put this post in the thread I started about dumbing down our language but as the subject is about water I thought I would interject and post here . I watched Gogglebox last night and they showed a clip from the revived Weakest Link episode that was shown for Children in Need and I just could not believe my ears. One of our so called new age of TV Presenters was asked what chemical elements combine to form Water , Hydrogen and ? The answer that came back was Acid , you just despair .

I would assume that at some point this person has drunk trendy bottles of water which used H2O as part of the logo and must have done elementary Chemistry at school . Having said that another contestant was asked what direction was directly opposite East on a compass and he answered North !!!! How do these people justify their salary and being employed by the media.

I was going to put this post in the thread I started about dumbing down our language but as the subject is about water I thought I would interject and post here . I watched Gogglebox last night and they showed a clip from the revived Weakest Link episode that was shown for Children in Need and I just could not believe my ears. One of our so called new age of TV Presenters was asked what chemical elements combine to form Water , Hydrogen and ? The answer that came back was Acid , you just despair .

I would assume that at some point this person has drunk trendy bottles of water which used H2O as part of the logo and must have done elementary Chemistry at school . Having said that another contestant was asked what direction was directly opposite East on a compass and he answered North !!!! How do these people justify their salary and being employed by the media.
I had assumed most quiz shows do an elementary IQ test on the contestants but apparently not . :confused::39:

Yet again I'm crying out for a facepalm smiley

THIS IS VERY SERIOUS. Basic knowledge is NOT being passed on and the future generation is gradually being dumbed down. Brings to mind the old saw about cooking a frog. If you dump a frog in very hot water he will jump right out. BUT if you start off with cold water and gradually increase the temperature, you will have one cooked frog. The future generation is gradually being dumbed down. With endless news about movie and TV stars, Facebook and Instagram feeds, other smartphone apps, and other minutia that endlessly occupies everyone, the actually ability to form an independent thought is gradually slipping away. Schools here in the US, teach to the test which is the worst form of education possible. The teachers also assign homework which (a) can only be completed by a parent and/or (b) is just your garden-variety busy work and accomplishes nothing except to chew up valuable evening hours.

Teaching to tests is not good. All you do is train people in a very narrow skill area which has little use in real life.

Getting people to think independently, to be clear in their communication takes time and is not so easy to test - done in business and management schools through simulation and role play exercises which replicate real life but devised to test skills actually needed. The problem is that there may well be more than one correct answer, and each one will be equally good as the other. Modern marking schemes struggle with that.

The real learning is when you reflect and see what could have been done differently. Sometimes a "good enough" answer works in real life because to get perfection takes too much effort which is why the grade A is set at 70%.

I always remember when I taught A level Accounts we were looking at an A level question which had three accounts tutors totally puzzled for a combined time of three hours. You had about forty minutes in an exam to do each question. I had chosen the question as it was from a paper about two to three years ago and assumed that I could work out the answer quite readily (normally no problem) but got stumped. We eventually realised that some wording was ambiguous and taken one way it was straight forward, the other gave an impossible contradiction. It was an incomplete records question and these could be a real challenge although they actually represented a lot of what small businesses actually did with their book keeping as full double entry was expensive and a lot just did not bother.

Just a thought how did we get from water on computers to teaching and testing. Classic SW dialogue style!!!

I agree that teaching to tests is not an ideal way of teaching, however I DO believe that tests have their place.

We had a change in teaching/testing styles over here a while back (many many many moons ago.....) there have been others since of course but I was actually at the cusp of this "new" system as it were.

Back in those days we were taught the old fashioned way and had tests every Term (semester?) and a big one at the end of the year. If you didn't pass the year end test, you didn't move up to the next grade the following year.
In High School this situation continued, but at the end of your 3rd year there was a major testing period which led, if you passed to getting what was called the "Junior Certificate". Basically I suppose this was your
High School Graduation Certificate. You could then leave school, your age being about 15-16. If you stayed on there were 2 more years at High School leading to a "Senior Certificate" and if you wished to test for Uni you also
did a Matriculation Certificate which determined if and when you attended University and what courses would be open to you.

Soooo... my year group was the last to do things by that method. The classes behind me started a new system when they entered high school. This was called the "Achievement" Certificate course. Basically this involved teaching as usual and then when you had finished one part of a course, be it English, Maths, Science etc., you were immediately tested on THAT particular part of the subject...Ok nothing spectacularly different there however... You were NOT TESTED on it again...EVER!

In other words there was no general integration of the learning and no checks an balances to ensure that the overall subject knowledge was being retained. You learned a new "fact" and while it was still fresh in your mind you were tested to see if you knew the new "fact", then it was forgotten about by the system and probably the student.

Things came to a head when the first year of students taught under the new system reached the end of 3rd year High School. Although they had been taught under the new system, the TESTING for the Junior Certificate was still in place, meaning they had to do the Junior to graduate.

The cat was FIRMLY set among the pigeons!!!

I believe the marking procedure used (and this was a State Wide exam) was that they determined that on average about 75% of students would "pass". They then looked at all the marked scores, went down 75% of the marks and drew a line. Everyone above that line passed and everyone below failed. Usually this meant that a pass mark was roughly a 50% exam score. I think in my year it was about 55%, so you had to score 55% in the test to pass that subject. There were other higher marking levels for higher level passes... a "Distinction" in a subject always meant a score higher than 75% in that particular exam for example.

When the first lot of students taught under the Achievement Certificate system were examined under the old but still relevant Junior Certificate system it caused massive panic in the education system. I cannot remember the exact scoring results as it was so long ago, but I believe the "Pass" mark for that year was something like an exam result of 30%. I don't think ANYONE from my school got a "distinction" that year and State Wide they were far and few between.

The following year the results were similarly alarming but did they change the system.... YES... they DROPPED THE JUNIOR CERTIFICATE and all the exams associated with it. They instituted finally the ACTUAL Achievement Certificate to replace the Junior and continued the "teach-test-forget" method. This had a knock on effect when it came time for those students pursuing higher education had to Matriculate.............a VERY high proportion couldn't meet the standards required and a lot of Uni courses, particularly in the Science and Maths fields had a dramatic downturn in student numbers.

Talk about dumbing down a society.

That's when a lot more of the "Arts" classes began to appear. In the words of one Dave Lister of Red Dwarf fame when asked how he got into Arts College replied "The usual way, I failed my exams and applied. They snapped me up!"

Aha...the thought occurs how to neatly get back to the origin of this thread in a circular way.................

Gothic was obviously stressed about his computer fan, Captain, back me up here, do you think a "Tension Sheet" would help him?
(If you don't follow Red Dwarf folks, as well us OUR show, you are going to be left in the dark with that reference! :D:37::37::35::36: and I aint tellin!:p:p)

It would help any number of members , Pearl , in her quest to get Dick in head to toe woolies and he refuses to comply springs to mind as an obvious candidate . Might need to be several instances of the sheet because they are not that large

Back